Tall European trees

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jeroen Philippona

Re: Tall European trees

Post by Jeroen Philippona » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Kouta,

About ten years ago I visited the Heiligen Hallen Forest. It is a small reserve, the beeches are tall but alas at that time I did not have any measuring equipment. I tried to get an impression of the hight by comparing the tree from a distance with a person standing under it. In that way the beeches seemed to be up to 40 m tall, not much taller. In May I am planning to make a short holiday to the Elbe region near Hitzacker and Wittenberge but I also like to go to the Müritz lake region. Both for birdwatching combined with visiting old trees and forests. Perhaps I can also visit the Heiligen Hallen then. I think it will not be difficult to go into the Heiligen Hallen to measure te trees, although it is not allowed. They are just afraid some tourist is hit by a falling branche or tree. You should just try to go there yourself, I don't think there are always people looking for anyone visiting the forest.

Jeroen

KoutaR

Post by KoutaR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:10 am

Jeroen,

Yes, the www-site of the Heilige Hallen says the ban is due to safety reasons. Outside the holiday season there is probably nobody. The site says in summer time there are guided tours to the edge of the forest. Perhaps we could go together, if you are going to the region anyway? "The first rendezvous of the European department of the ENTS". It would be nice to meet you, a more experienced measurer.

- Kouta

Jeroen Philippona

Post by Jeroen Philippona » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:52 am

Kouta,

Indeed it should be nice to meet you there!
At least I am in the Elbe region between May 12th to 16th. In this area there is a nice old riverine forest, called the "Elbholz" with tall oak, ash, beech, poplar, elm, maple, etc. and large old open growth oaks, elms and native black poplars. See http://www.bomeninfo.nl/duitsland-6.htm for some photos, but not of the closed forest, only of the open forest near the river Elbe.
But probably there are no trees above 40 m tall in this forest.
I hope to go also from May 8th to 12th to the Müritz area. If this is possible I can visit Heiligen Hallen in one of these days. Because this depends on some other people going with me it is not yet sure. As soon as I know for sure if I can manage to go already at the 8th, I will mail you.

Jeroen

Jeroen Philippona

Post by Jeroen Philippona » Mon May 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Kouta and I have planned to meet each other Sunday 9th of May at the Heiligen Hallen beech forest near Feldberg in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in eastern Germany. There are more beautiful old beechforests around there, but most of them are on poorer soils than Heiligen Hallen so with less tall trees.

Today I got a mail that a new hight record was found in the UK. The huge Ardkinglas Grand Fir (Abies grandis) in Scotland was climbed and tape measured. They got a height of 64,28 metre - 210,89 feet! This is 49 cm taller than the two tallest Douglas Firs of the UK in Scotland and Wales wich both are 63,79 m = 209,28 feet.
This Grand Fir was also measured by Bob van Pelt in june 2006 during his visit to the UK. He was very amazed this planted tree was among the 5 largest (in volume) specimens of this species in the world! He measured around 62 m by laser, the tree is still growing fast.

See: https://www.ruralgateway.org.uk/gd/node/1990
and on the Douglas Firs: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf ... C40037298C

Jeroen

Jeroen Philippona

Post by Jeroen Philippona » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:50 am

In post 10 of this topic I included an update of the list of tallest trees of the Netherlands. It is only a selection of some species. I have copied it here also.
I updated the list for the Netherlands in April 2013. There are few substantial changes found in the three years since I posted this list. Some differences are remeasurements of the same trees, sometimes a taller tree has been found.
For the whole of Europe there have been found many more new record heights.

My own list of tallest trees in the Netherlands measured by Nikon Forestry 550 laser:
Scientific name - English name - records 2010 - Update 12-04-2013
Pseudotsuga menziesii - Douglas fir - 50,3 m (laser) - 49,75 m (climbing + tapedrop; lasermeasurement in 2010 was
without direct view of the base)
Fagus sylvatica - European beech - 43,0 m - 43,2 m
Picea abies - Norway spruce - 42,1 m - 42,1 m
Abies grandis - Grand fir - 42,0 m - 42,0 m
Populus x canadensis - Hybrid poplar - 41,2 m - 41,7 m
Quercus robur - English oak - 41,2 m - 41,8 m
Sequoiadendron gig. - Giant sequoia - 41,0 m - 41,5 m
Quercus rubra - N. red oak - 39,6 m - 39,6 m
Thuja plicata - Western red cedar - 39,4 m - 39,8 m
Populus x canescens - Grey poplar - 39,1 m - 39,1 m
Larix decidua - European Larch - 39,0 m - 40,0 m
Platanus x hispanica - London plane - 39,0 m - 39,0 m
Fraxinus excelsior - European white ash - 38,6 m - 39,5 m
Liriodendron tulipifera - Tulip tree - 38,0 m - 37,6 m
Acer pseudoplatanus - Sycamore maple - 37,0 m - 37,0 m
Aesculus hippocastanum - Horse chestnut - 36,0 m - 36,8 m
Tilia platyphyllos - Broadleafed lime - 35,2 m - 35,2 m
Ulmus glabra - Wych elm - 35,0 m - 35,0 m
Salix alba - white willow - 34,6 m - 34,6 m
Tilia x europea - common lime - 34,6 m - 36,8 m
Tilia tomentosa - silver lime - 34,4 m - 34,4 m
Taxodium distichum - swamp cypress - 34,0 m - 34,6 m
Tsuga heterophylla - western hemlock - 34,0 m - 34,5 m
Quercus cerris - Turkey oak - 34,0 m - 34,2 m
Juglans nigra - black walnut - 33,8 m - 35,2 m
Pinus sylvestris - Scots pine - 33,6 m - 33,6 m
Quercus petraea - Sessile oak - 33,5 m - 33,5 m
Quercus palustris - Pin oak - 33,0 m - 33,8 m
Platanus orientalis - oriental plane - 33,0 m - 33,0 m
Alnus glutinosa - common alder - 33,0 m - 33,0 m
Castanea sativa - European sweet chestnut - 33,0 m - 34,6 m
Quercus frainetto - Hungarian oak - 32,6 m - 32,6 m
Metasequoia glyptostr. - dawn redwood - 32,0 m - 32,8 m
Pinus nigra - black pine - 32,0 m - 34,8 m
Prunus avium - wild cherry - 31,6 m - 31,6 m
Acer platanoides - Norway maple - 30,2 m - 32,0 m
Betula pendula - silver birch - 30,0 m - 32,4 m
Cryptomeria japonica - Japanese red cedar - 30,0 m - 30,8 m
Carpinus betulus - common hornbeam - 29,0 m - 32,2 m

An overview of all species we have reliable measurements of can be seen at: http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/heightrecords/nld/

The European heightrecordlist is at: http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/heightrecords/europe/

When you are logged in you can change the settings for measurements from Meters to Feet at the settings-page: you can find a link at the right top of the page.

Jeroen

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Jeroen,

Outstanding work. What percent of the Netherlands is forested? Just wondering.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Europe and the British Isles - Overviews”