Hainich National Park, Germany

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

KoutaR

Re: Hainich National Park, Germany

Post by KoutaR » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Bob, the meeting would be really great. I have only 2'30 hour drive to Prague. Maybe we could visit a Czech reserve. Let's plan further when you know better your trip plans.
Kouta

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Kouta,

Okay, this is starting to sound like an event that is meant to happen. One of my friends, Dr. John Waldman and his wife Dr. Mila Waldman are experts on Czech architecture. This could be a great combination - trees and culture.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Jeroen Philippona

Post by Jeroen Philippona » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Doug, Bob, Kouta, ENTS:

Indeed it should be very nice to have an ENTS meeting in Germany and the Czech Republic!

The Hainich National Park is beautiful, I visited it twice in 2003 and 2005. It is not the largest forest of Germany, but the largest natural broadleaf forest area of Germany. Some other forest area's are larger, but have a lot of planted conifers, most Picea abies, Pinus sylvestris, Larix decidua and Douglas fir.

When I visited the Hainich I did not have height-measurement equipment. Still I did not have the impression of extremely tall forest. I think beech and ash in the core area's will most be between 30 and 35 m (100 - 115 feet) with some trees of 35 - 40 m (115 - 131 ft). I doubt if there are many trees of over 40 m / 131 ft. Other species probably are somewhat less tall.

When Bob is going to the Czech Republic, he should visit some of the forest reserves like Boubin near the German border, with very tall Norway spruce and European white fir (Abies alba) and the also beautiful forests on the German border site in the Bavarian National Park (Bayrische Wald).

Jeroen

KoutaR

Post by KoutaR » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:56 am

Jeroen Philippona wrote:Still I did not have the impression of extremely tall forest. I think beech and ash in the core area's will most be between 30 and 35 m (100 - 115 feet) with some trees of 35 - 40 m (115 - 131 ft). I doubt if there are many trees of over 40 m / 131 ft.
I agree.

Kouta

Return to “Germany”