Craggy Flats - full write-up

Project documenting the old growth and special forests along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shennandoah National Park in Virginia and North Carolina.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

bbeduhn

Re: Craggy Flats - full write-up

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Bob,
I think you're about spot on with the age guesstimations. The Craggies are loaded with bizarre yellow birch forms. I've found no other area that compares in terms of contortion. The Smokies have a fair amount and south of Asheville along the Parkway, there are nice forms as well, but the Craggies take the cake.

In some years the mountain ash is fantastic and in others it is absolutely spectacular! 2006 was one of those years and 2010 was close.

I'll do some exploring on some less traveled trails to give you some other areas to search.
Brian

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Brian,

Thanks much. I don't know what the Parkway staff know about the forests in the places, but I'm sure that we can help them. That is a secondary, but important object of the book project.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Brian,

I can remember the Mountain Ashes being really brilliant in 2003 also. I have always preferred calling them " American Rowan " since they are closely related to the Rowan ( European Mountain Ash ) of Europe. The leaves of the European tree are more rounded than that the American species.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Josh Kelly

Post by Josh Kelly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:49 am

JP,

I love morels, too but they are a spring mushroom. In the fall I focus on the edibles in family Polyporaceae.

Josh

Return to “Blue Ridge Parkway Project”