Update on the Leveretts

Project documenting the forests at the Poplar Forest owned by Thomas Jefferson in Virginia.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Update on the Leveretts

Post by edfrank » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:54 pm

ENTS,

I spoke to Bob Leverett yesterday. He s not only alive and well, but says he has tons of photos and measurements from his Virginia trip. Invigorated by the trip he is planing new ENTS Projects for the future.

Ed

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Re: Update on the Leveretts

Post by dbhguru » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:17 pm

ENTS,

Today Monica and I visited Poplar Forest - Thomas Jefferson's other estate. I made a contact there. They may be interested an ENTS project to document their trees for historical purposes. I measured their largest tulip poplars and gave them a copy of the measurements. It remains to be seen if there will be interest from those higher up the chain. If so, it wou=ld be a prestigious assignment.

Monica and I spent a lot of time exploring the Peaks of Otter. When we get back to Massachsettsm I'll write up a series of reports with lots of images. It's too hard to do the job from the road. However, the reports will highlight some old growth discoveries and present a novel idea thar Ed is thinking about now.

I'm still set to measure trees at Montpelier on the 12th. I should be meeting with the horticulturist. It could lead to further ENTS projects. Exciting stuff.

To my buddy Gary Beluzo,

Eat your heart out Gary, I'm awash in tuliptrees. I measured two today at Poplar Forest over 16 feet around. Wicked cool!

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Bob,

Good stuff and congratulations! We await your posts. You are missed when you are gone.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 am

Bob, Hope all is well. That would be way cool to do the Jefferson Estate! Larry

Return to “Poplar Forest Project”