New BBS Member

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Philip

New BBS Member

Post by Philip » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:02 am

Hello,

My name is Philip. I live near the Seacoast of New Hampshire. I have seven sons, all homeschooled. I love the forest, especially here in the northeast. I have familiarity of several regions in North America but I really love New England. I joined this BBS because I have an interest in being directed to someone who may be able to help me explore with my kids. As a teenager, I had some dichotomus (spelling?) key books to help me identify the native trees of Maine. I romped around the forest trying to find every species in the book. I was successful with the exception of the flowering dogwood and the tamarack! I found a good teacher to help me identify them, note some locations and I readily find them everywhere now.

I write that to help my introduction. I’m fond of the forest. I would like to incorporate some field trips with some of my kids that involve giant tree hunting, measuring or even species surveys so they can start to learn how to identify the local flora and develop some knowledge and, if inclined, affection for natural things.

Anyway, if someone reads this and is able to point me in the right direction, I’d be very obliged.

Larry Tucei

Re: New BBS Member

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Welcome Phillip to the BBS site. I'm sure someone in your region would be glad to help you in anyway. If you wish to measure trees we have a page for proper technics.
It's great to get the young interested in the Forests, they are the future! Anything I can do to help don't hesitate to ask. I'm located in Coastal Ms but have connections with just about everyone on the site. Larry

Philip

Post by Philip » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks, Larry. If you know anyone up here in New England that would be great if you connected him/her with this post. Thanks for responding!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:26 am

Philip,

Kevin Martin is the NH champion tree coordinator and a good man to know. He can direct you to trees and sites with worthy trees to see. Sam Stoddard is also part of the NH big tree coalition. Both are members of the National Cadre of Champion Tree Measurers. I recommend contacting these two.

NH has many site of big and/or old trees to visit. Are you familiar with: Pine Park at Hanover, the Bradford Pines, at Bradford, the Tamworth Pines at Hemminway State Forest, old growth sites in the White Mountains, such as at Nancy Brook, old growth on Mount Sunapee, etc. The list goes on.

You found the right place to learn about these places. Welcome aboard.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Philip

Post by Philip » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Wow, thank you Bob. A lot of very useful information and I will reach out to those people, thank you.

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”