Hello From East Tennessee

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Mountain Adam

Hello From East Tennessee

Post by Mountain Adam » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Hello all,

My name is Adam Wright and I am a native plant enthusiast. I have a MS in Biology but do not work as a biologist. I live in East Tennessee at the edge of the Cumberland Plateau which gives me close access to some good tree hunting areas. I enjoy hiking in the Smokies and in the parks and natural areas in my native state of Tennessee and Western North Carolina. I have always had a fascination with the forest that was instilled in me by my father at an early age. I have just recently started measuring trees and would appreciate any guidance or advice that you guys can offer. I am only measuring circumference at this point because I do not have the tools or knowledge to measure heights but would love to figure it out. I will hopefully be able to post some trip reports soon.

Larry Tucei

Re: Hello From East Tennessee

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:41 am

Hi Adam- Welcome aboard! You are among some of the most talented Tree enthusiasts on the Planet. I started out the same way and then bought a Clinometer, Laser Rangefinder, Calculator and the rest is History. On the NTS webpage there is a link for proper measurement guidelines. If you need any assistance just jump back on here with questions any everyone well be glad to help. http://www.nativetreesociety.org/measur ... vised1.pdf Live Oak Larry

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:42 pm

Welcome Adam,

Good to have you in a prime location for finding some of the tallest and largest trees.

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:58 pm

Adam,
Welcome. I started the same way. In fact 6 years ago I didn't even know anyone else was looking for big trees. I was just running around the forests of NJ and PA with a 50ft tape looking for the largest ones I could find because I enjoyed it. I stumbled across this site and that has taken me to a whole new level.....
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Mountain Adam

Post by Mountain Adam » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:15 am

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome. I look forward to learning from you all and sharing my discoveries.

Adam

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”