Hello from Sevier County, TN

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jaredownby

Hello from Sevier County, TN

Post by jaredownby » Tue May 19, 2015 8:37 am

I'm Jared Ownby from Sevierville, TN. I teach Environmental Education in the school system to 4th & 6th graders where I try to inspire the students to enjoy the outdoors—and especially GSMNP!

Jared

dbhguru

Re: Hello from Sevier County, TN

Post by dbhguru » Tue May 19, 2015 10:24 am

Jared,

Welcome aboard. We're happy to share information that may aid you in teaching the kids. As a native born southerner, the GSMNP was a favored haunt, and still is. If you look at the long string of posts accessible under North carolina and Tennessee, you'll find a wealth of information about superlative trees in the Park. Many sources focus on the overall biodiversity of the Smokies. You're probably familiar with the group Discover Life in America that has opened our eye to the immense diversity that exists in the Smokies in terms of species. However, few people realize that the cove forests of the Smokies have the highest canopies of all eastern forests. The Smokies have no competitors with respect to the number of height records.

It is a continuing, long term project of the Native Tree Society to measure and document special forests all across the United States. If you have information that you want to present to the children in your classes about special trees, please let us help you. Again, welcome aboard.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”