Hi from WNC

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

darxcm

Hi from WNC

Post by darxcm » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:26 pm

Greetings from WNC.

I moved about 3 years ago to Western North Carolina from the Piedmont of NC. I have been a Life Member of the Sierra Club since sometime in the 1980s, and also now a Life Member of the Asheville Mushroom Club. Other memberships include the Blue Ridge Naturalist Network and the Nature Conservancy. I am currently interested in learning more about the ecozones of WNC, and my search has led me to the Native Tree Society and ENTS.

I have read with some great interest of Will Blozan's accounts of the giant Liriodendron in GSMNP and have begun some study of the interaction between fungi and large trees. Tomorrow I intend to hike the Boogerman Trail. Is there any chance that I might obtain directions to the Sag Branch Poplar? Hope that this isn't an unseemly request on my first post.

Thanks so much.

bbeduhn

Re: Hi from WNC

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:23 am

It's a little bit late for your hike but if you'd still like directions, I can help you out in a private message.

darxcm

Post by darxcm » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks so much, that would be great!! I think we found it, but I'm not totally sure. Do I need to post my email address here? I'm not sure how PM works with this BBS. Also, do you know what animals might be foraging in that area? It seemed like the ground was fairly disturbed, and I've heard accounts of wild pigs in that area. Do you know if this is the case?

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Welcome!

You would know if you found it... Wild hogs are awful in 'Lochee.

Are the bridges replaced yet? Please describe the route you took and I can let you know if you found the tree. You ;likely also passed the Boogerman Pine- tallest know of the species.

Will

darxcm

Post by darxcm » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 pm

The initial bridge at the start of the trail, which I have read was out this past summer, has been replaced. The bridge between the Caldwell Fork trail and the start of the Boogerman trail is still out: we had to ford the creek, which we did with the help of some stones and logs and sufficiently low water. Not saying it was easy, though. There were some folks behind us on the trail who might have turned back when they saw what they needed to do.

I believe that I found the tree. The photos I took of the crown seem the same as the ones I've seen posted on this site. The others on the trail with me didn't make it all the way to the grove, so I didn't have anyone to place at the base for scale, and I was really being leaned on to turn around so that we would get back down Cove Creek Rd before dark. I wished I would have had more time to explore, but I guess it will have to be a next time thing. The hollow tulip much earlier on the trail seemed to have a larger base than what I think was the SBP. What I think is the SBP also didn't seem to be taller than the trees around it, but it did seem like a bit of the crown was missing.

Don't know how to post images here yet, but this is a try at posting the base:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B ... az7u0ijv-8

Still working on being able to upload other images.

I found the landmarks, although I'm not sure I found the worn path. There seemed to be a few small paths, but I think I found it. It was a little bit west of what I guess is considered the West Prong of the Sag Branch.

Let me know if the base looks familiar. Still working on a link to the crown image. Thanks.

Laurie
Last edited by darxcm on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Where did those directions come from?

Will

darxcm

Post by darxcm » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:05 am

Google Sag Branch Poplar directions.

There is more than one place that lists it.
Last edited by darxcm on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Geez that is an exceedingly disappointing website...

Such superlatives should NOT be publicized, nor such utter crap about 1500 years and AVERAGE 30' circumference. Where did that horrid "fact" come from? UGH!

Since I discovered the tree I have been very careful and reserved in who I take there and give directions to. Apparently either someone in a group violated my and the NPS's best wishes or more likely, someone just searched the Sag Branch drainage and found it.

Either way I do wish all directions were removed. The last time I was there it was evident it had been visited recently. I don't want this tree to be trampled like others on more visited trails. I also have fears about the Fork Ridge Tuliptree being a popular destination for tree "peak baggers".

Oh well, the information age is engulfing us all- trees included.

darxcm

Post by darxcm » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Not to depress you, but there was also a meetup group (in 2012) that had the Sag Branch as a destination. It also posted the directions to the tree.

It did seem like others had been to the area, just looking at how some tell-tale moss was missing from a large downed tree that might have been along someone's path to the SBP. I wasn't totally sure if it was hogs or people in the area. However, if you look hard enough, there are directions to most things these days online.

Personally, I've found a very large poplar along the Baxter Creek Trail around the Big Creek area. I'll have to see how large it is in relationship to the Sag Branch grove next time I hike that area.

I agree with your concerns about the great trees, and even the smaller ones. A favorite trail of mine is the Art Loeb on the way to Shining Rock. I've watched one of the few trees in that mostly bald area get a lovely limb hacked to bits over time by thoughtless campers wanting to stoke an outdoor fire. Not that green wood even burns well, or much.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:38 am

The onslaught of tree tourism begins. First the redwoods, now the tulips. In terms of damage done it matters not whether hogs or people, same difference. First you'll have guided tours to these trees, next you'll have guided tree climbs. The National Park service will be so starved for cash that they will have no choice but to look for alternative sources of income in the form of permits. This is all by design by our business lobbyists. Everything will be commercialized and privatized one day. Look what happened to Devils Tower National Monuments. They were sued by the climbing community, and won against great Indian opposition who regard that tower as being sacred. Rock climbing is now big business there.

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”