Hello from PA

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

KellandrewsPA

Hello from PA

Post by KellandrewsPA » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Hello from PA!

I'm glad to have found this board. I've recently begun visiting PA Champion Trees, in addition to keeping a tree Tumblr (treeandtwig.tumblr.com) where I mostly collect photos of arborglyphs and trees that look like people. I have a recent children's mystery, Deadwood, that's published by Spencer Hill Press. It's about an ancient beech tree that begins communicating with two seventh graders via the letters carved in its bark. The kids must lift a curse on it to end a plague of bad luck that is threatening their whole town.

I'm interested in locating and finding more big trees, interesting arborglyphs, and anthropomorphic trees.

John Harvey

Re: Hello from PA

Post by John Harvey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:13 pm

What area of PA are you from? Always good to have another enthusiast from the area. I'm in South Jersey but do a lot of tree hunting in PA, DE, and CA as well, whenever I can. Obviously PABigTrees has most of the info anyone needs but my knowledge and assistance is yours anytime you need them.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Matt Markworth

Re: Hello from PA

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Kellandrews,

Welcome! It's great to have another author among the ranks of the Native Tree Society.

Although I dislike the idea of tree carvings, they can definitely be interesting. I've included a photo of a carving on a young beech. I'll probably see the tree again and it will be interesting to see how it distorts over time. One time I saw a beech carving with the 3 initials of my name - that was pretty strange.

Hopefully you'll share some of the arborglyphs that you've found, I would love to see them!
056.jpg
Matt

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”