Hi, and Catalpa id

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DesignGreen

Hi, and Catalpa id

Post by DesignGreen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:29 pm

I am a landscape designer and contractor in Evanston, IL.
Today, however, I am with my friend in Fort Atkinson, WI and trying to id a tree. I think it's a Catalpa, but it is juvenile and hasn't flowered, and has about 8 stems. Is this normal in the woods?
It is about 2 feet from a Mulberry, 8-10' from a Black Cherry, a magnificent Burr Oak that is mature and a Hackberry. The Oak is on my friend's property; the others are on the next door neighbor's. Trying to convince the neighbor to get rid of at least one... No luck so far. But, I would like to identify this multi-stemmed tree before we prune it. Thanks.

Joe

Re: Hi, and Catalpa id

Post by Joe » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:59 pm

upload a photo
(entering extra characters to get the minimum of 24)

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Welcome.

There is not a possible way to misidentify a catalpa, as it is the only opposite-whorled native large tree. Get up close and personal. Look at the buds.

Will

DesignGreen

Post by DesignGreen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:59 pm

I took photos. The last photo is of the whole grouping of trees. The tree in question is in back, and as you might see, the Cherry, Hackberry, Mulberry and the Catalpa? are blocking our view of the lake. We are going to tree up the four trees (not the Oak), and are trying to figure out our pruning approach. Wondering if this is a Catalpa, and if I should take out some of the stems.
The Cherry has a Y in trunk at about 8'. Thinking about taking out the smaller one. Thanks for feedback.
Attachments
WP_20141012_005.jpg
WP_20141012_004.jpg
WP_20141012_003.jpg
WP_20141012_002.jpg
tree in question is behind this fab Oak
tree in question is behind this fab Oak

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:20 am

Basswood, Tilia Americana most likely.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:34 am

Will Blozan wrote:Basswood, Tilia Americana most likely.
right, but the leaves do look vaguely like catalpa leaves- which are larger and longer

which reminds me of the time I was walking with an old time immigrant Italian dude- we came upon a catalpa which was loaded with its seedpods-- the old guy said, "Giusseppi, what-sa that tree- looks like-a string-a bean-a tree"
Joe

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:09 am

Joe,

Vague is right- Catalpa have no serrations and are not alternate on the stem. First thing to look for when you find an unknown tree is the leaf arrangement. This narrows down the possibilities tree-mendously. Whorled is even more rare.

Will

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”