New to site- Could have record white pine

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Haliotis

New to site- Could have record white pine

Post by Haliotis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:44 pm

I am visiting a relative in Putnam County, NY. There is a massive white pine on the property. Using recommended measuring techniques with less than professional tools gives a height that I conservatively estimate at 170 feet. Are there any members who live close enough that would want to confirm the size of this majestic tree?

dbhguru

Re: New to site- Could have record white piney

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Haliotis,

I'll be returning from Colorado in early August and would be willing to swing by to measure the white pine with a Laser Tech TruPulse 200X, accurate to about 3 centimeters. I expect to be in that area around Aug 12th.

Do you have any images to share of the pine? A height of 170 feet would make the pine the tallest tree of any species we have measured in NY. It would be a very, very significant tree. Even if less than 170 feet, say 160, it would be quite significant.

The challenge of measuring big trees accurately increases dramatically if they have broad crowns. We can give you help if we can see the overall shape of the tree. Regardless, it sounds like a tree that we want to see.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Haliotis

Re: New to site- Could have record white pine

Post by Haliotis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Thank you for your very quick reply. Besides sending some current photos, I have a scanned photo of the tree and house from 1937 when it was already quite large. To what email should I send the photos?

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:34 pm

You can actually include the image directly in a reply if you'd like to share it with all of us to examine. When you have the "quick reply" form open, if you click the "full editor" button it gives you a larger set of controls for constructing your reply. Scrolling down, you'll see a blue box with a tab labeled "upload attachment." Using this you can choose the image file from your computer to upload, add a caption, and then click "add the file." This will automatically add the image file to your reply post when you hit "submit" to complete your response.

I sure do love to see big white pines, 170 feet tall or not!

Haliotis

Post by Haliotis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Here are three different images, enjoy and let me know what you think.
Thanks

Haliotis

Post by Haliotis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:34 am

Tried to submit photos but can't find on this site. Trying again with just one. If you want to see more, I suggest contacting me at tbehr@aol.com
Attachments
person standing at base of tree for perspective, might have to zoom.
person standing at base of tree for perspective, might have to zoom.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 pm

That sure is a nice white pine! It looks like it should be over 100 feet tall, not sure about 170 though. Girth looks pretty good too, probably between 10 and 13 feet in circumference based on similar photos I've taken. If you're still visiting, wrapping a tape measure at a level of 4'6" from the ground to get a specific girth measurement would be a good start on putting together some numbers for this tree. The crown doesn't look especially broad, so that's not a likely source of measurement error. Could you perhaps describe a little more specifically the method you used to reach a height of 170 feet?

Haliotis

Post by Haliotis » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 pm

I picked a spot that turned out to be 80 feet from the tree, used a carpenter's level and a simple wooden angle measuring device and got an angle of 65 degrees to the top limb in an almost vertical line with the trunk.
The tan of 65 degrees is 2.145.
80 x 2.145 is equivalent to 171.6 ft.
I was conservative in my estimate by not accounting for the slight rise in elevation of my measuring point compared to the base of the tree and I also intentionally subtracted 5 ft. from my measuring point to allow for my crude method.
Your estimate of girth was spot on at 144 inches.
Here is a photo of the tree from 1937 when it appears to already be over 100 ft.
Attachments
white_pine_at_Mary's_house 1937.pdf
1937 photo
(436.88 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:16 am

What a gorgeous tree! Lots of volume in all those reiterations... Are you sure the 1937 tree is the same one? A lot has happened in the crown since then indicating either it is a different tree or it is super thrifty and young. I would guess the tree is in the 110-120 foot range. I hope someone can get over to verify- it is a whopper!

Will

Haliotis

Post by Haliotis » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 am

another look
another look
Absolutely certain it is the same tree as 1937 photo. Tree is protected from wind at the bottom of a hollow with a stream that overflows depositing sediment and is 50 ft from a stone lined watering hole holding 25,000 gal.
I plan on downloading the iPad clinometer app in the next day or two to check my crude measuring technique. Even though I measured 5 times, I could be wrong about height, but I don't think so.

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”