Hello from Northeast Georgia!

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

JohnAtl

Hello from Northeast Georgia!

Post by JohnAtl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:28 am

Hello All,

I am very much a newbie to hiking and trees. Seeking out trees seems to be an interesting form of geocaching. However, rather than trinkets, one is rewarded with views of magnificent trees.
I'm planning a trip to see the Gennett Poplar near Ellijay, Ga. and ran across this site. Much to my delight, I discovered there is a monster hemlock near the GP. Thanks to user eliahd24 for his post http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3569 that led me here.
Hemlocks have always seemed to be one of the underdogs of the tree world, and therefor are special to me. I can't imagine one 12' in diameter. I'm excited to see one 12' tall!

Thanks to the admins for this site!

Regards,
John

bbeduhn

Re: Hello from Northeast Georgia!

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Welcome,
You're in an excellent spot for tree hunting. The Cohutta Mountains and the Chattooga River beckon you. Northeast Georgia is a gem for tall trees. Check out the measuring guidelines, get some gear and get out in the woods!

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:43 pm

John- the creekside forest near the Gennett (or Gannett) Poplar is pretty sweet. The trailhead is second growth stuff, then all of a sudden... maybe 1/2 mile in the trees just start getting BIG! There's definitely some monster hemlocks and they are still alive (I last visited in Nov. 2013). If you have time you need to also put Cooper Creek trail on your list of places to visit. Another short trail, but LOADED with some primary forest about 1 mile into the hike. Including some tuliptrees that are as big as the Gannett Poplar. ALso Sosebee Cove is fantastic (near Vogel State Park).

Happy Hunting and feel free to email me anytime: eli_dickerson(at)yahoo(dot)com

~Eli

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:15 am

John,

Welcome to NTS. I can't imagine a hemlock at 12' diameter either, because there ain't no such animal. I used to post and even misspeak substituting diameter for circumference all the time, however I think I have gotten a little better about that recently. Still a 12' circumference hemlock is quite impressive. Most posts use circumference rather than diameter because most trees are not perfectly round in cross section, so circumference is a more accurate and comparable measurement. Hope you enjoy your hikes and get into tree measuring. There is a lot of impressive forest in Georgia to explore.

JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:49 am

I stand corrected. Which is better than being beside myself, I suppose.
Let me rephrase: "I can't imagine a hemlock with a
Click on image to see its original size radius!"

:-)

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Welcome!

I went to high school in Ellijay. First place I ever backpacked was the Cohutta Wilderness Area. (Although I never saw the Gennett Poplar!)

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Welcome to the forums from a fellow tree lover and geocacher.
Patrick

pattyjenkins1

Re: Gennett Poplar

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:33 pm

For an account of a climb in the Gennett Poplar, see "Climbing the Gennett Poplar," Volume 3 #1 of Tree Climber published in 1990 by Tree Climbers International in our "Newsletter Archives". Interesting article!
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”