Lurking for months and finally joined :)

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jasonbaker

Lurking for months and finally joined :)

Post by jasonbaker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on this board for awhile now and finally took the plunge and joined. I generally don't join discussion boards because I've found the discussion often devolves into childish name calling, but this appears to be a more mature group :)

I got really interested in trees last year after I had the opportunity to visit Sequoia National Park. The giant sequoia are spectacular. If you ever get the opportunity to visit, I highly recommend it. I live near Cleveland, Ohio, so we dont' have anything near that scale, but it got me interested in the conifers that are native to my area which are surprisingly few. I'm particularly intrigued by some Carolina Hemlock that are growing in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I saw a couple of threads on here about them so I was hoping to get more information on them.

Have a great day everyone!

Jason

Steve Galehouse

Re: Lurking for months and finally joined :)

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Jason-

Welcome aboard! I'm in Bay Village, and I've explored many of the woods in the NE Ohio area, and we are fortunate to have some of the best tall tree sites in the state, especially parts of CVNP, Sand Run, North Chagrin, and Whipps Ledges. Let me know if you would like to do some exploring in the area.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:14 pm

jasonbaker wrote:Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on this board for awhile now and finally took the plunge and joined. I generally don't join discussion boards because I've found the discussion often devolves into childish name calling, but this appears to be a more mature group :)

Jason
Yeah, well, I think everyone of a certain age tried their hand at that at some point. In retrospect it was a whole lot less worthwhile than it seemed at the time:
credits:XKCD
credits:XKCD

jasonbaker

Post by jasonbaker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:47 pm

@Steve. Small world Steve. I'm down in North Olmsted. That would be great if we could meet up some time and check out some trees of interest. I've done quite a bit of exploring in the Rocky River Reservation, Kendall Ledges, and the peet bogs near Kent. Your threads about the Carolina Hemlock are what helped me figure out what those weird looking hemlock trees were down in the CVNP!

@Rand. Yeah. We've all been there at some point. I try to keep my discourse civil now :)

Have a good night guys!

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:07 pm

jasonbaker wrote:Hi Everyone,

I got really interested in trees last year after I had the opportunity to visit Sequoia National Park. The giant sequoia are spectacular. If you ever get the opportunity to visit, I highly recommend it. I live near Cleveland, Ohio, so we dont' have anything near that scale, but it got me interested in the conifers that are native to my area which are surprisingly few. I'm particularly intrigued by some Carolina Hemlock that are growing in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I saw a couple of threads on here about them so I was hoping to get more information on them.

Have a great day everyone!

Jason
Jason,

Welcome!

I checked out your website (cool website by the way) and it looks like we've been to some of the same places. I agree that the sequoias are amazing and Cook Forest is a gem. Here is a video of when Steve showed me the Carolina hemlocks up there in your part of Ohio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwsoLgVrXMo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwsoLgVrXMo

Matt

jasonbaker

Post by jasonbaker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:42 am

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the compliments on my website! Its been a hobby of mine for the last 15 years. I plan on using it as a means for sharing photos and stories about cool stuff I find in the forest. I'll share it here too :)

Cook forest is amazing. The character of the forest is so different from what usually grows here in the east. It's incredibly dark under the hemlock canopy and there are so few angiosperm trees there. My wife and I are going to try to visit it again along with the Smoky Mountains National Park this year. It's my understanding that there is a region in the Smoky Mountains that is considered a temperate rain forest. I haven't been to a temperate rain forest since I visited Olympic National Park back in 2007.

I'll check out the hemlock video this evening. My phone still has a 3G radio so most video viewing is hit or miss.

Have a good day!

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:24 pm

NTS, Jason-

I had the pleasure of meeting up with one of the newest members, Jason Baker, at Rocky River Reservation in Cleveland----we had a nice hike, talked about trees(and how to measure them) and many other subjects. It's nice to have another NTS member in NE Ohio; I'm looking forward to future expeditions with Jason.

Jason with a nice Freeman maple along the Rocky River:
Jason & Freeman maple.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

jasonbaker

Post by jasonbaker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Steve was a great guide and very generous with his time and knowledge! I have a feeling if I can't identify a freeman maple the next time we meet, I'm going to be in big trouble :D

I'll return your rangefinder/inclinomet tomorrow. I measured a few pin oaks in my neighborhood. They weren't as tall as I thought. The tallest one I could find was about 80'. I was going to try to hike around the woods behind my property but it was just too wet :P

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”