Hello

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

amit

Hello

Post by amit » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 am

Greetings to all ! I'm Amit Chawla from India. I'm doing research on Himalayan Ecology and recently started my work on Treeline dynamics. I live in a small town of Palampur in Himachal Pradesh and work in a research institute (CSIR-Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology).

bbeduhn

Re: Hello

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 am

Welcome aboard, Amit. I don't believe anyone else from your part of the world is involved with the NTS. It's especially exciting that you are a scientist studying Treeline dynamics. We look forward to your (hopefully frequent) reports.
Brian

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Amit,

I second what Brian said. yes, welcome aboard. We hope to hear about the forests of the Himalayan region. I have always been fascinated by that region of the world, but know virtually nothing about its forests. As you probably have seen, we specialize in ground-based methods of measuring tree dimensions.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Amit,

welcome! I can't wait to hear reports from your corner of the world. I've been thinking of visiting that part of India for some time since my sister-in-law is from that area and I thought it would be cool to combine a family visit with tree measuring. Like Brian, I very much hope that you'll post early and often. Can you tell us something more about your research as well as some of your other interests in trees?

Doug

amit

Post by amit » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:11 am

Dear Doug,
I'm sorry I'm revisiting the site almost after a year and saw your post now. I welcome you to Himalayas any time you wish to come to India. I'm a plant ecologist with interests in studying biodiversity, functional traits and productivity studies.

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:55 am

Amit,

thank you for your wonderful invitation. I very much look forward to visiting northwestern India but it is likely to be at least three years from now at best. I believe my sister-in-law, Rose, was born in Chandigarh but she was only two when her family moved to Chicago. I need to get up to speed on the trees of northern India and I found some information on some English language books which may be useful. The three that seem promising are:

Forest Flora of the Chakrata, Dehra Dun and Saharanpur Forest Divisions, United Provinces by Upendranath Kanjilal and Basant Lal Gupta. 1928. Fairly old but apparently still quite good and it is more specific to northern India and I can get it for around $15-$20. Reprinted in 2004 but for a much steeper price of $128.99.

Trees of Delhi - A Field Guide by Pradip Krishen. 2006. This is supposed to be quite good and it covers 252 species.

Trees of India by Subhadra Menon. 2000. Covers fewer species and a wider geographic range than the book above but it may be helpful to me in understanding the northern Indian trees in a broader context.

This might be a good start for me unless you think otherwise.

Your interests in trees as a plant ecologist sound very exciting. Based on your interests I'm assuming that you measure trees in some manner? Is that correct?

Doug

amit

Post by amit » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:59 pm

Dear Doug,
Its really nice to see your interest in trees of India. Those are good books. There are some good research papers like...
1. Trees and their economic importance by Seth, 2003, The Botanical Review
2. Forest Vegetation of Himalaya, Singh and Singh, 1987, The botanical Review
3. Volume Equations for forests of India, Nepal and Bhutan, Forest Survey of India, 1996
The pdfs for first two are available at Google Scholar and the third one is a book which can be ordered. Some more literature if I come across I'll let you know. I'm also measuring trees to assess the biomass. For this I'm consulting the third book for volume equations and I measure the tree DBH and Heights in the sampled plots.

Best Wishes,
Amit

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Amit,

thank you so much for confirming the quality of the books and also for the additional research papers. I was able to find the first two but not the last. The book by the Forest Survey of India did not appear in an Amazon or Google search. I went right to the Forest Survey of India and they mention it as a publication for 250 Rupees but I didn't see a way to order the book. I'll keep trying for that book.

Thanks again,

Doug

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”