New member - tree measurement

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

suriak

New member - tree measurement

Post by suriak » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 am

Hi everybody

my name is Peter Surovy, I currently live and work in Japan, I am interested in tree measurements and biometry. I found your board and joined it, I would like to find some new information and also receive some feedback, hints about tree measurement and so on. I see that this topic is intensively discussed here.

I work on 3D reconstruction of trees, I found on this board that you already have a nice examples of photogrammetry here from Michael Taylor http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=235&t=5544. I attached here a 500 years old japanese cryptomeria. (The diameter in the height of the white rope is cca 4 meters)
templeTree.jpg
And I also try to develop in my free time some measuring apps for iOS, you can find one on AppStore (search for SmartForester). It is only a prototype and it only works on iPad, there may be many bugs and errors. At the moment I work with the students on the accuracy assessment and ergonomy of it. As I said if someone is interested any feedback or comment is appreciated. Thank you.

John Harvey

Re: New member - tree measurement

Post by John Harvey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:16 am

Welcome, its nice to have someone from Japan. There sure are some impressive Camphor trees over there, some of my favorites. Looking forward to your posts.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

dbhguru

Re: New member - tree measurement

Post by dbhguru » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 am

Peter,

Welcome aboard. We are very pleased to have you join us. I routinely test apps for possible tree-measuring purposes and would be happy to take a look at your app and give feedback. I'm sure Michael Taylor will want to converse with you. As you'll discover, we deal with tree measuring and modeling at all levels. It is always exciting for us to gain a new member with special skills. Again, welcome aboard.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”