Andruss island

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Pandruss

Andruss island

Post by Pandruss » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:45 pm

My father, Frank Andruss, died in '75. His colleagues at Alco Standard in Valley forge arranged the island to be preserved and it became Andruss island. I did not know it existed until a couple of his grandchildren in CA brought it to my attention.
After googling it I came across your website and saw the inventory that George Fieo did with the trees. I would like to find out where the island is and the best place to access it. Is it on the maps with a different name? I have ridden up the schuykill river trail several times wondering where the island is.
Since retiring from teaching and living in Alaska I moved back to PA and since then have become involved with the Wissahickan valley as a volunteer.
Thanks
Peter Andruss

George Fieo

Re: Andruss island

Post by George Fieo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:08 am

Peter,

The island is not hilighted on any of the maps. If your familiar with the Schuylkill River Trail it's the first island downstream from the Longford and Reynolds Dog parks. If your familiar with the Pheonixville/Oaks areas the tip of the island is behind the McAvoy brick yard and directly behind Shemins Nursery. There is no easy access. You have to wade or canoe to the island. I've done both but I prefer to canoe. The river is typically shallow but can be chest high in certain spots. My last visit to the island I parked at the Oaks Convention Center, the old BF Goodrich Plant and canoed up to the island. I sure do appreciate your fathers effort in preserving the island and if there is any more I could do for you please let me know.

George

Pandruss

Re: Andruss island

Post by Pandruss » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:31 pm

George,
Thank you very much for the response and please excuse me for not acknowledging yours sooner. You have described the location of the island where I will not have any trouble finding it. I'm looking forward to going out there and exploring the island when things thaw.
Thanks again for your help.
Peter Andruss
Pwandruss@gmail.com

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”