Ray Asselin - Intro

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RayA

Ray Asselin - Intro

Post by RayA » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:05 am

Hello to everyone,

I've neglected introducing myself for a while now since joining, but Bob Leverett just went and posted some photos I took while on a hike with him in Bryant Woods (MA), thereby forcing me out of hiding. I first started worshipping, er, exploring old forests with Bob in the late '80's or so, when we were both still puppies. Bob's now an old dog, and I'm still not paper trained (hee hee hee). But I've learned a lot from him, and still am (for instance, I never thought to order two different ice cream flavors in the same cone... genius!).

At any rate, I'm now a retired database software techie from Dow Jones, and spend most of my time woodturning (bowls, vases, keepsake boxes, and the like). For me, as in the search for big, old trees, one of the most interesting aspects of woodturning is the hunt for new wood species I haven't worked yet.

Although I'm a consumer of wood, I want to see much more of our forest lands left intact to become old growth. That may or may not happen, but my experience has been that when people see what we do have (here in Mass) for old forests, they're simply enchanted with the experience, and become supporters.

Ok, enough from me (you read this far??). The rain's letting up, and there's woods to go see .....

Ray Asselin

Larry Tucei

Re: Ray Asselin - Intro

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:56 am

Welcome Ray you are among Friends as Bob would say. Whenever I get up to New England to vistit Bob, remind me to bring up some Southern species you have not worked with. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:57 am

Larry,

Ray and I go a long way back. Check out his website. Ray is an excellent photographer, as you've seen and hopefully will see. But don't let him kid you, he's still not paper trained. That's why we have to take him for those walks in the woods. Heel, Ray, heel.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Bob- Wow really good woodturning. The fisnished products from the different types of wood are outstanding! I like the Cedar lamp with the leaf on the Lampshade. Ray- The patterns and colors are fantastic. Larry

michael gatonska

Post by michael gatonska » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:21 am

Ray,
Your vase, bowls, and vessel turnings are really amazing - each piece is so distinct and those distinctions you really bring out in each piece - beautiful craftsmanship.

Michael
Michael Gatonska
“What is essential, is invisible to the eye” –Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.youtube.com/user/EcoEarSound ... sults_main

RayA

Post by RayA » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Larry and Michael,

I just now found your posts re my intro post, and woodturning... thanks to both of you for your compliments, I appreciate that. Woodturning is a snap compared to keeping an eye on a big-tree guru tho .... especially one who wanders so far afield!

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”