New member from Thailand

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

nana_paleobot

New member from Thailand

Post by nana_paleobot » Sat May 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi,

I am a paleobotanist, studying fossil trees. My main research works are petrified woods from Southwestern Wyoming and from Thailand.
One of my current projects that I am trying to do are conserving and protecting fossil trees (petrified wood range from 20m-72m long) in a forest park of northwestern part of Thailand where the fossil trees were found outstanding in the living dipterocarp & mixed deciduous forest.

Photo of the fossil trunk bane be see below:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Museums- ... =1&theater

I am new to the board. Thank you for sharing many interesting and helpful information from NTS and also thank you for approving my registration to Native Tree Society group.

Joe

Re: New member from Thailand

Post by Joe » Sat May 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Nareerat, somebody posted your link a few months ago to this site. We had a brief discussion about the geology of the site. From the photo, it almost looks as if the fossil trees are simply buried in sandy soil- but I presume that's rock. Can you tell us what the rock is and do you have a theory as to how those trees got buried? During a flood?
Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat May 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Nareerat,

Welcome to the NTS BBS. I found some news articles about the fossil trees last March and posted about it here: http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5186 I am sure you have probably seen the discussion thread already. I am a geologist who has worked primarily in karst processes. I am fascinated by these trees but don't know what to say about preserving them. What is causing the deterioration - weather, visitors? The only thing OI could think of in previous discussions here would to be build a shelter around them. There were a number of questions posted on the other thread about what species of tree, the size of the trunk itself, how the living height was estimated, etc. Any insight you can give us would be appreciated and if there is anything we can do to help you we will be happy to listen.

Edward Forrest Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue May 28, 2013 10:37 am

The discussion of the petrified trees has been moved and incorporated into this thread:

http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5186

Please continue the discussion there so that it is not spread out among several different discussion threads.

Edward Forrest Frank

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”