New member - Patty Jenkins

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pattyjenkins1

New member - Patty Jenkins

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi everyone. I'm the director of Tree Climbers International, which my husband Peter started in 1983. The tallest tree I climbed was a Sitka spruce on the west coast of Washington State; we slept at 167 feet. I haven't climbed since then (I'm a person who walks on crutches due to having had polio at a very young age). My favorite tree is the American beech, though only by a hair. There are so many beautiful trees that it's hard to choose. My favorite thing to say to non-climbers and skeptics is "Once you climb a tree, you'll never look at trees the same way again." My experience is that tree climbers become tree conservationists.

Looking forward to participating in and learning from lots of the discussions on this board.

patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

edfrank

Re: New member

Post by edfrank » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Patty,

Welcome to the Native Tree Society. I see your login problems seem to have finally been worked out.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Patty! So glad to see you on NTS!! I knew our world's would collide on here eventually. I have been involved with the Native Tree Society for 3 or 4 years now (since Richard Preston spoke at AHC about The Wild Trees). It's a fantastic group of folks. With their help/training/expertise I've learned how to accurately measure trees and have compiled a list of over 1,000 trees in metro-Atlanta. We are in the city of trees after all :)

Welcome!
~Eli

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Patty,

I second what Ed and Eli have said. We are especially pleased to have tree climbers, professional and recreational, join us in NTS. We look forward to hearing from you and hope others will follow your lead. I've been extremely happy to see Eli confirm great trees all over Atlanta. I'm a Georgia Tech graduate and have many fond memories of Atlanta.

Most importantly, we hope tree climbers will help add to our growing database of accurately measured trees, so we can profile each species over its full geographical range. There is still a lot to be done in this area.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Patty,

There is something to what you say about climbing and conservation. Welcome to NTS.

Bart

AndrewJoslin

Re: New member - Patty Jenkins

Post by AndrewJoslin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Welcome Patty, I seem to know you from somewhere... wait a minute... it's all coming back to me now... You and Peter taught me how to climb trees! Beech is my favorite too, especially Fagus grandifolia.

Here's a canopy view of a fine one to welcome you

Click on image to see its original size

-AJ

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:28 am

Andrew, I never saw a beech with branching pattern like that. Neat!
Joe

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Fantastic shot Andrew! Simply gorgeous.

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:58 pm

pattyjenkins1 wrote:My experience is that tree climbers become tree conservationists.
patty
... Or do tree conversationits become climbers? Either way we all benefit the more people care about trees. Welcome, Patty!
Patrick

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”