pierce new member

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pierce

pierce new member

Post by pierce » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:15 am

Greetings,
My name is Pierce and I am a new member to ENTS. I am a professional arborist and tree climber in Minnesota. I have been following the ENTS website for the last few years, and finally joined the discussion group. I would call myself an enthusiastic tree measurer. I keep a list of the large and interesting trees that I climb and come across. I did invest in a laser range finder and am still working out some of the bugs. I also have an interest in trees with stories and/or historical value. I look forward to posting some of the trees that I have on my list and the trees I have yet to see.

Pierce

Will Blozan

Re: pierce new member

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:40 am

Pierce,

Welcome to NTS! You obviously will slide right in to the organization. Please let us know how we can help with your measuring "bugs".

I anxiously await some posts of the trees you mentioned.

Will

pierce

Post by pierce » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 am

Will,

Thanks for the welcome. I will try to put together some posts on some of my tree list. As for my "bugs", I still have to calibrate my laser range finder(LRF) for change over and I have noticed some problems with angles. I have a Leupold 750 LRF with an inclinometer. I like the unit, it is easy to use and has good optics. But I feel that I have been taking angles measurements that include head tilt. As you know a forestry clinometer is meant to be used with no head movement, only the eyes. With the LRF, I need to move my head to see through the optics...giving me different angle readings. My thought is to make a monopod that I can rest the LRF on and maintain a single point of movement for the angle reading. Eventually I will get a clinometer. But for now this is what I have. Change over calibration is just laziness on my part.

Thanks for this great organization,
Pierce

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Pierce,

Welcome to NTS! I am sure you have read the tree measuring guidelines that Wil wrote: http://www.ents-bbs.org/download/file.php?id=5869 and the Really Really Basics guide that I wrote: http://www.ents-bbs.org/download/file.php?id=5870 I look forward to getting some numbers from Minnesota. I also looking forward to your tree histories and stories as much as the measurements.

Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Welcome, Pierce. This is the best place for treeish people on the web!

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”