Patrick from NC

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

eliahd24

Re: Patrick from NC

Post by eliahd24 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Welcome to ENTS Patrick! It's a great place to talk trees with countless tree enthusiasts whose knowledge and passion will amaze and inspire you.

I got hooked a few years back after reading "The Wild Trees" and subsequently finding ENTS through a Google search. Soon afterwards I bought a used Nikon 440 laser rangefinder and a suunto clinometer (both on Ebay for just over $100 each) and began measuring. I'm approaching 1500 trees that I've measured in the past 3 years. Mostly for height, but some CBH and spread measurements as well. I've nominated probably a dozen state champs and 1 or 2 national champs. The Georgia big tree coordinator was very open to the ENTS method and happy to take my submissions (though they have not adopted this method for their own use as of yet). I highly suggest you get set up with the kind of gear Will and I have mentioned. It's fairly cheap, doesn't take up much space, and is easy to use. The "how to" instructions on this site are very well done and you've got plenty of folks to ask questions to. Fair warning though- it's addictive.

Cheers and happy tree hunting!
~Eli (Atlanta, GA)

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi Eli,

I'm familiar with the book you mentioned, and your additional reference to it led me out to the local library this morning to pick up a copy. I haven't finished chapter 1 yet, and I'm enthralled already. I'm glad to hear that its possible to find a rangefinder and clinometer on ebay. I'm sure its only a matter of time before I rationalize those purchases.

Patrick
Patrick

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:28 pm

FYI- Will Blozan (ENTS President) has climbed with Steve Sillett and his wife multiple times in the Giant Sequoia forests of California- top quality researchers/climbers here :)

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 pm

I finished "Wild Trees" last night. What a great book. I learned a ton about redwoods, eucalyptus, and climbing technique to boot. In fact, I have a bid on a Shakespeare automatic reel (mentioned in one of the last chapters) at ebay :). Tall trees are captivating and awe inspiring!
Patrick

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”