Patrick from NC

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pdbrandt

Patrick from NC

Post by pdbrandt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:35 pm

Hey all,

My name's Patrick. I live in a little town outside of Raleigh/Durham, NC called Mebane. I'm a long time outdoorsman. I love trees, forests, hiking, camping, geocaching, canoeing, technical tree climbing, mountain unicycling, and just about anything else that involves a walk outside. I'm a biochemist by training and I work at UNC-Chapel Hill. On my lunch breaks earlier this year I compiled a google-maps-based campus tree tour (http://ncbg.unc.edu/pages/127/) with over 100 species of trees. If you're ever on campus let me know and I'd be glad to show you my favorites. You might also be interested in a list of champion trees in NC (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 3BRV1RMMUE), which I compiled from information found on the NC Division of Forestry website. If you're in town let me know - I've never met a tree-hugger I didn't like.

Patrick
Patrick

Steve Galehouse

Re: Patrick from NC

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Patrick-

Welcome to the NTS! The campus tree tour you created is very nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy the community of members here, and I look forward to more posts from the Chapel Hill area.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Patrick,

Welcome from a fellow NC'er! You are in a fabulous tree area of which I have barely seen. Here is a report from one agonizingly short trip.

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... garden.htm

Beware the NC Big Tree List. It is full of erroneous measurements and multiple-trunked trees. I also have over 90 trees of ~75 species that I have not nominated yet.

Will Blozan

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Thanks, Steve and Will. I'm happy to be among friends.
Will Blozan wrote:Welcome from a fellow NC'er! You are in a fabulous tree area of which I have barely seen. Here is a report from one agonizingly short trip.

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... garden.htm

Beware the NC Big Tree List. It is full of erroneous measurements and multiple-trunked trees. I also have over 90 trees of ~75 species that I have not nominated yet.

Will Blozan
I'm glad to meet another tree fan from NC, Will. I'm a newcomer to the field of tree measurement and have enjoyed getting to understand the mission of NTS better since Tom Robison pointed me to you all from the Big Tree Hunters facebook page. I don't have any immediate plans to get a laser rangefinder and clinometer, but I'm always open to more "excuses" to get out in the woods so I can't rule it out.

I really enjoy climbing into a big tree on rope (always safely and with respect for the tree, of course) and experiencing the canopy from a different perspective. I originally sought out the list of NC's champion trees to see if there are tall trees near me that would make good climbing destinations. I'm not surprised to hear you say that it's out of date.

Do you measure trees using a rangefinder, or do you prefer to do tape drops? If you're ever in need of a climbing partner let me know. I'm not that far from Asheville and I get out there for work a few times a year.

One last question - Is there any interest on the part of the NC Forest Service to get tape drop measurements on any of the trees on the list?
Patrick

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Patrick,

I have done probably 100 tape drop measurements for research and training. The laser-based sine method (ENTS Method) negates the need for climbing unless accuracy to the nearest .1 foot of total height is needed. The NC Champion tree list is not interested in accuracy so tape drops would be nice but a general waste of effort if intended to clean up the list. The ENTS method would do a much quicker job. I tried to implement the use of the ENTS method with the latest (funded) remeasurement of every NC Champion tree back in 2006 or so. No interest whatsoever. Thus, the list remains an over priced POC.

I would welcome any climbing support when you are in the area. I, along with several other ENTS members, am currently involved in a tuliptree study in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. In this project we will be climbing trees in excess of 190' and mapping their structure.

Check out the Tsuga Search section of the ENTS website for more detail on my climbing and tape drop use.

Will

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Patrick,

Welcome aboard. You are among friends. I second what Will has said. He has not exaggerated one bit about that state list. Some state coordinators try to put truth into the champion tree numbers and are doing a good job. Several coordinators are members of NTS and they are absolutely topnotch. Unfortunately, other coordinators have little interest in achieving accuracy. They're just going through the motions with their programs.

It is always good to have tree climbers who are interested in tape-drop measuring. Will Blozan is the person to know. If you get a chance, examine his posts and you'll see what I mean.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Will,

I loved the write-up on the Fork Ridge Tulip Tree climb. What a magestic tree. Are you only reconstructing tuliptrees taller than 190' in the study? How many have you identified for study?

I also read your measurement protocol found in the Tsuga files. Is it common to disregard the limb volume or was that decision unique to the hemlocks in the Tsuga study?

I'm quite familiar with the poplars and oaks in Battle Park on UNC campus that you visited back in Feb of 2008. It is one of my favorite places to walk, although I haven't climbed there before. I've climbed a number of trees in Carolina North Forest, a research forest owned and maintained by UNC. There is a stand of stately white and southern red oaks in CNF and at least 2 tuliptrees over 100'. My plan is to get some experience measuring those trees and post some trip reports in the near future. Maybe then I'll move on to some trees in Battle Park??
Patrick

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Welcome, Patrick.
I get out to Greensboro frequently and once in a while to Chapel Hill. I haven't done any climbing but do a fair amount of laser/sine measuring.
Brian

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:45 pm

bbeduhn wrote:Welcome, Patrick.
I get out to Greensboro frequently and once in a while to Chapel Hill. I haven't done any climbing but do a fair amount of laser/sine measuring.
Brian
Nice to meet you, Brian. Please let me know when you're in town. I'd love to see the laser/sine method in action.
Patrick

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 am

Welcome. Always good to see more folk from the Carolinas as members.

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”