Ethan Shaw - New Member

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ESH

Ethan Shaw - New Member

Post by ESH » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:18 am

Hi all,

I recently joined the Native Tree Society, having long admired its project pages & discussion forums. I'm a writer & naturalist living in the maritime Northwest, and my main areas of focus--and my passions--are wild landscapes, physical geography, the classification of landforms & ecosystems, and the intersection of topography & ecology. Old, huge, particularly gnarled, living-at-the-fringe-of-their-range, and otherwise notable trees have always spoken to me (though all, naturally, are wonderful in their own way), and I love chancing upon them, whether on wilderness bushwhacks, trail rambles, or strolls through parks & cemeteries.

I'm looking forward to more deeply exploring these forums, and taking advantage of the impressive collective knowledge housed here. The efforts to document lone veterans & resilient patches of old-growth are really inspiring. Mostly, I'm sure, I'll be a happy student on these pages, but I also hope to post about particular trees/forests I've come across (there is an ancient, half-dead Pacific Madrone of impressive size I visit regularly on the Ice Age Floods-scoured benches above the Willamette River in the Portland Metro area), and perhaps some musings on trees & landscape.

Thanks for all your work & dedication.
-Ethan Shaw

ElijahW

Re: New Member

Post by ElijahW » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Ethan,

Welcome to the group. You hail from one of the really beautiful places in America. I spent some time in the Portland area last week for the first time, and was truly inspired by the landscape. The wind and rain wasn't too pleasant, but I will definitely be back when I get the time.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ESH

Re: New Member

Post by ESH » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Elijah. Yes, NW Oregon is beautiful, like the rest of the Northwest--and the seasonal battering of North Pacific storms creates its own drama. The giant conifers, of course, are a great attraction; but so are the immense Black Cottonwoods & wonderfully eccentric old Oregon Ashes in the bottomlands, all playing out in such a volatile landscape of volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, floods, etc. I also love the close proximity to the stunning Ponderosa savannas & steppe-mountain mosaic of Eastern Oregon, where I lived for several years. Hope you get a chance to visit again.

-Ethan

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”