huge sassafras tree

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

carrolldixon

huge sassafras tree

Post by carrolldixon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:06 am

Hello,I"m from western Norh Carolina. There is a huge sassafras tree in Maggie Valley,NC that I would like to get on your list of big trees. My father said a man came from Asheville in the 1930"s to meaure this tree and said it was the largest sassafras tree in North Caroline at that time.He didn"t remember if this man was from the forest service or from some college.I have never measured this tree but I drive by it most every day and it is at least 6' in dia. or more. I just joined this group and do not know how things work. I would like someone to contact me for more Info. my email is tcdixon@bellsouth.net.

eliahd24

Re: huge sassafras tree

Post by eliahd24 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Carroll,
We've got a number of members in western NC. I'm sure one or more of them would be interested. If not, I might be able to visit the tree this winter, though I'm based in Atlanta and don't make it that far north too often. Sounds like an amazing tree!
~Eli

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Caroll,

Is this the sassafras you are talking about?

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... assafr.htm

Click on image to see its original size
Photo of the locally famous Tanglewood sassafras in Maggie Valley, NC. I measured it at 16'4" cbh x 51' tall and it has bark like a western conifer. Definitely in the "freak-show" category since it is vastly larger than any other in the region. It has been brutally topped with mere sprouts composing the upper crown. Will Blozan, Aug 29, 2004.

This is the National Champion Sassafras in KY:

Click on image to see its original size
photo by Michael Davie

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _15473433/

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

carrolldixon

Post by carrolldixon » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:51 am

Yes Ed this is the sassafras tree that I was talking about.This tree is on land that my family owned untill the 1960's,the David O PLott land.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:52 am

Carolldixon,

It's a nice tree, or was when I last seen it back in 2005. I think.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”