New here

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

wmuller

New here

Post by wmuller » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Hello,

I am a retired ‘green’ professional, specialized in tree care and urban trees. Nowadays I run a small consultant office to stay active in tree care business and spent more time to visit monumental trees in Scandinavia, Germany and Great Brittain. Before I incidentally used a pencil & measure tape, nose-cross or the Blume-Leiss apparatus for measuring tree heights.
Nowadays I come more and more in situations I want to know the right height of a tree. For that I bought last year the Nikon 550A Ranger-Finder. After some experiments and talks with college’s (thank you Jeroen) I think I am finding the right way to measure the height of trees with this Nikon 550A.

With pleasure I read the publication ”The Really, Really Basics of Laser Rangefinder/Clinometer Tree Height Measurements” dated January 12, 2010.
About the wider beam of the 550A than the 440: can anybody tell how wide it is at a certain distance?
Kind regards,
Maarten Windemuller

edfrank

Re: New here

Post by edfrank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Welcome to the Native Tree Society. I will try to find the specs again. I know I saw them once. The differences in the published beam width did not seem very large, but there is a observable difference in how well each was able to read through smaller openings and clutter when used in the field. Perhaps the 440 had on average achieved a narrower beam than specified? There are a number of members of the NTS who are successfully using the equivalent to 550A here. It is a capable instrument.

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”