New Member Introduction

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Tree Lady

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by Tree Lady » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Will, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THE EDUCATION!!!!! I am so appreciative that you took the time and trouble to explain that to me--and the photo was priceless in illustrating what you wrote. Now, I actually "get" it. Also I will start measuring my live oaks. I am embarrassed to say I don't know how many are on my three acres. Probably 10 or 12. And to both Will and Larry-One measuring question I have (which I could probably get an answer to by reading the "measuring trees" info on the site) is: my largest live oak has undulations in its trunk at the 4.5' mark. Do I pull the tape tightly and let it "skip over" the undulation or make sure the tape "dips" in to the undulation? Or measure higher or lower?

And Larry, I have noticed the Louisiana site, maybe that is where I read about the 8' requirement. BUT, I'm no longer in Louisiana. Nor is the tree. ;->

Thanks Fellas--very, very much.

Brenda

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:16 am

Brenda, The Louisiana Live Oak Society is where to register your Oaks or some Ms counties have Live Oaks registered also. The Louisiana site has Live Oaks from all over the south on its listing of 6500 trees. Pull the tape around the tree at 4.5' unless there is a limb or buttress at that level. Larry

Tree Lady

Post by Tree Lady » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:11 pm

Will, thanks so much for taking the time to send this detailed explanation of the seven sisters oak. I get it now.

Larry, thanks for the website address, but does it matter that the tree is not in Louisiana?

I appreciate the input from both of you.

Also, I plan to start measuring these live oaks.

Best, Brenda

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”