New Member Introduction

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Tree Lady

New Member Introduction

Post by Tree Lady » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:04 am

Hello, I'm Brenda, a Registered Nurse and lifelong lover of trees. My earliest memories are of playing aroung the "big tree"--a live oak on a street corner in Mobile, Alabama--in the mid 1950s while waiting for my father.
I earned the name "Tree Lady" by purchasing and giving away, sometimes even planting myself, over 7,000 bare root seedlings over a five year period in the New Orleans area. This project was started when the house across the street from me sold and the new owner promptly cut down a sycamore tree which had a 10' girth. I cried for weeks, and then my husband suggested I do something productive.
I am happy to be a member of ENTS, I hope to learn a lot more about trees, and would like to register a couple of the larger live oaks on my property.

Larry Tucei

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am

Brenda, Welcome to ENTS! I live in south Ms., and the Live Oak has long been one of my favorite trees. The Louisiana Live Oak Society has over 6500 Live Oaks registered. A link to the society, the application to register your trees is found here. Keep us posted on the process, thanks. Larry

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:32 am

Welcome! A proactive tree lover!

Tree Lady

Post by Tree Lady » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Larry, I also live in south Mississippi now. Moved from N.O. to a home that I had purchased before the storm in Poplarville.

I bet you are familiar with the seven sisters oak in Mandeville. If not, you should be. Let me know if you'd like more info about it. It is supposedly the oldest live oak in the U.S., but some sources list a live oak in Charleston, S.C. as the oldest.

I just learned today that the largest known live oak in the state of Miss. is acutally in Pearl River County. I plan to find out exactly where and go visit it.

Thanks so much for responding and welcoming me.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Brenda, I have measured them both. The Seven Sisters is big but not a true Champ, it is a multi-trunked tree, not nearly as old as claimed. All of the ages of these great Larger Live Oaks are estimations. I would be surprised if any in the US are older than 350- years. The Ms State Champion Live Oak is very near you. Located at Walkaih Bluff, the great Oak measures CBH-33' 1", Greatest Spread-166' and Height-63'. A fantastic tree! Larry

Tree Lady

Post by Tree Lady » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Wow!! I had a patient just outside of the Walkaih Bluff park--can't wait to get back down there.

There is some controversy about the Seven Sisters oak.I recall an article that I read in the Times-Picayune that it WAS thought to be seven trees that had grown together, hence the name, BUT a core sample had been done and it was indeed one tree. Of course, I do realize that you can't believe everything that you read.

I wish I could find the article. Anyway, I think wikipedia (not a reliable source) lists it as oldest in nation at 1400 years--very hard to believe. With a girt of 37'.

The largest I have on my property is 16'.

Thanks for the info, especially about were the largest live oak in MS is!!!!

All the Best,

Brenda

Hey, have you visited the Montezuma Cypress in Oaxoaxca (sp?) Mexico?? It is on my list of trees to see.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:28 am

Brenda, I have been wanting to visit that monster for sometime now. Perhaps in the future I will be able to go and check it out. Larry

Tree Lady

Post by Tree Lady » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:31 am

Larry, I have had limited time to check out the ENTS site and just discovered this p.m. that you have made the live oaks your project. I enjoyed looking at many of your photos on the site.

I thought I had saved that article on the seven sisters oak, but can't find it. BUT, I do believe that YOU do know what you're talking about.

I guess my 16' girth is not really big enough to be listed. I thought that I had read somewhere on the site that a girth of eight feet was "listable", but perhaps that was species specific.

Thanks again for all of your info and work with the live oaks.

Have a good 4th.

Brenda

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:16 am

Brenda,

Welcome to ENTS! I hope you and Larry can collaborate on some live oak adventures.

As for the Seven Sisters Oak, it may indeed be the same genetic individual- probably from multiple stump sprouts several hundred years ago. The tree is not old but an impressive fusion or conglomerate of many young stems. In ENTS we often use a "pith trace" to determine if a tree is a single stem or multistem. Basically you project the center of the stems to the ground. If they meet above ground it is a single; if not- a multistemmed tree. Here is a photo of the Seven Sisters with a digital pith trace (and "Lowland Larry"). Definitely not a single stem.
Seven Sisters pith trace-small.jpg
Regarding your trees- although not "large" they could be very useful to measure in the sense that we could gain knowledge about how fast live oaks grow. Pick a suitable location on the trunk and measure the girth in exactly the same way every year or over the growiing season. With enough time we can pick up some growth rate information.

Will Blozan

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Brenda, http://www.louisianagardenclubs.org/los.html You can register a Live Oak with an 8' CBH or more at the Louisiana Live Oak Society. They have an application form. Larry

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”