Forest Reserve Science Advisory Committee

Ongoing research projects by ENTS and individual members

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Forest Reserve Science Advisory Committee

Post by dbhguru » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:13 pm

NTS,

In Sept, we'll have the first official meeting of the Forest Reserve Science Advisory Committee set up by DCR to monitor and advise on the Mass Forest Reserves. I am a member of the committee representing the Native Tree Society. So, NTS will be represented in a major initiative to advise on protection and monitoring of the Reserves. I'm looking forward to participating on our behalf. TNC, TTOR, Mass Audubon, UMASS, Harvard Forest also have representation.

I'll keep everyone informed and seek advice from the rest of you as time goes on. MTSF and MSF are part of the system of reserves. It is a pretty visionary system. My friend Joe Zorzin was on the Steering Committee that advised on the design of the system of reserves, parks. and working forests. Although he represented consulting foresters, he was one of the most persistent and eloquent voices for the reserves. We owe Joe a lot. He had to literally battle other forestry voices to insure timber propaganda wasn't presented and accepted as fact.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Forest Reserve Science Advisory Committee

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 am

Bob, Congrats. Mass is lucky to have a guy with your knowledge and tenacity on Forests. Larry

Return to “Current Research Project Listings”