old growth video?

The philosophy and techinques of shooting video. Discussions of equipment, editing, and software. Videos meant to document a specific tree or site should be place in te proper section of the trip reports section.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Erik Danielsen

Re: old growth video?

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sun May 03, 2015 8:35 am

To my awareness Chris Merchant (a member here as just "Merchant" but doesn't post much) is working on getting his sister's (natalie merchant of the 10000 maniacs) partner, who makes professional documentaries for National Geographic and whatnot, into doing a film on eastern old-growth. Last I talked to Chris the parties in question were very interested, but it's been a little while. I had been planning to drive down to visit him soon but my car was just destroyed so I've got to wait on the insurance payout to get a replacement vehicle to both visit Chris and resume measuring while the spring is still in its best parts.

I recently replaced my camera with a model that takes high-quality video, I'm less familiar with video work but I'll start stockpiling footage for this potential member-made project as well. Seems to me that a project like Kouta suggests might be instrumental in conveying the worth of the concept to more professional filmmakers.

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Sun May 03, 2015 10:19 am

Joe wrote:How did you get it on to DVD? Can you give us the URL on YouTube? The embedded version can't be expanded to fill the screen.
Joe
I have a DVD/VCR player that allows dubbing from VHS to DVD and vice-versa. I bought it several years ago primarily to put old family movies onto DVD, but have ended up using it to convert a variety of tapes to DVD over the years. Don't know why it didn't dawn on me to convert the old-growth video until now.

Here's the URL for the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlrXEJh5bEQ

P.S. If you click the video title on the embedded video in my previous post that should open it up in a new screen.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 am

Fyi this morning I received the permission of Greg Czarnecki, executive director for the Pennsylvania Wild Resource Conservation Program to publish their video "Old-Growth Forests: Pennsylvania's Forgotten Giants" publicly on YouTube. Feel free to share it far & wide!

He wrote: "I’m glad to hear that you still find it useful and that it will be more readily accessible for people to see."

Thanks for the impetus Joe with this thread that got me to take the time to put the video up!
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon May 04, 2015 2:51 pm

Right, it's a very nice video- I'm not sure who is currently managing the NTS web site- but perhaps a link to that video could be on the web site?
Joe

Return to “Video Production”