Bringing wood as art indoors

Objects and art made from wood and the skill in carving or making objects from wood.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Bosque

Bringing wood as art indoors

Post by Bosque » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Does anyone have suggestions about what to use to get insects out of this wood without using insecticide? I haven't seen any insects in it, but I would not want to bring any into the house, or to watch this beautiful branch deteriorate.

Thanks,
Carol Diamond
Asheville, N.C.
Attachments
Usually I leave such things in the forest for the critters and to decay.  Couldn't resist this one.
Usually I leave such things in the forest for the critters and to decay. Couldn't resist this one.
The white "stuff" scratched off easily.
The white "stuff" scratched off easily.
I don't know what kind of tree this branch came from.  I was so excited when I found it I forgot to look up.  Went back today and couldn't find the place.
I don't know what kind of tree this branch came from. I was so excited when I found it I forgot to look up. Went back today and couldn't find the place.
Big end
Big end
Seems mostly hollow.  Weighs about 20 lbs.  About 10 feet long not counting the squiggles and curves.
Seems mostly hollow. Weighs about 20 lbs. About 10 feet long not counting the squiggles and curves.

Bosque

Re: Bringing wood as art indoors

Post by Bosque » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:22 pm

I think I'll just use boric acid. My woodworker stepson said that should be OK.

Carol

Return to “Woodcrafts”