Mount Laurel Open Space, Fairfield

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ryandallas

Mount Laurel Open Space, Fairfield

Post by ryandallas » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:03 pm

This post is an edit from 5/10/2020

This open space features one of the largest pure stands of TTs I have seen. Probably the largest. The open space is centered around a small creek that flows from north to south. The eastern portion of the park features some cool rock formations, and is forested mostly by oak, birch, and mountain laurel. The western part is a pure TT stand that grows above the river. The TTs here look pretty young, but they're already tall. I was able to find the following:

136.2 foot double tree

142.8 feet x 6.7 feet

142.8 feet x 7.2 feet

148.2 feet x 7.8 feet

So the Mount Laurel Open space just misses the 150+ club. But it certainly will be reaching is sometime soon.
Last edited by ryandallas on Sun May 10, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbhguru

Re: CT's Second 150-footer found

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:55 am

Ryan,

Good job. It is exciting for me to learn of more 150s, of any species, in CT. It certainly looks like middle and southern CT is TT territory. Not really a surprise.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Ryan,

Congratulations.

Similar conditions around here also tend to produce the tallest Tuliptrees: Moderate to steep slopes covered in deep, well-drained soil. The description of the park states that it was established in 1966. How much older than that do you think these trees are?

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Way to go Ryan, great to get this new data on tall Tulips. I'm glad you'r still hunting. I'm also making tree hunting trips with some of my young Costa Rican friends.

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Bob -- It is very exciting. The Housatonic River valley probably holds many, many tall tulips. Bart and I found some tall tulips at Birchbank Open space and Indian Well State park (140'+). There are many promising parks in the river valley. I will set my sights on this area in the future.

Elijah -- That topography definitely seems to be the winning one. A couple of years ago Erik and I measured a very tall tulip tree on Long Island, and it too was growing on a well-drained slope. It seems like tulip trees are resistant to storm damage (around here, even open-grown specimens reach 100' with ease), but the cover that a nice cove or ravine provides definitely pushes them into elite territory. As for the age of the trees, I am not well-versed in dendrochronology, but I would say quite young. Some of the trees (including the 152' tree) look kind of odd because they have grown so tall so quickly. They kind of look like massive P. grandidentata. I would guesstimate that they are not much older than the park.

Bart -- Good to hear from you! Can you please check my measurements when you get a chance? Glad to hear you're having fun down south!

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 am

This is excellent searching, Ryan, I'm sure you have more good stuff to turn up in CT yet. Regarding the quality of your measurements, as I recall your straight-up shot on that taller tulip by the Queens Giant put it at 147'- which when I checked later from a better angle in the winter turned out a solid 147.8'. Especially now that you're doing full sine measurements with the forestry pro, I think you have every right to have confidence in your measurements being accurate to within 1.5' or so, which is the margin I figure for my own measurements with the trupulse when handheld.

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Erik -- I do think that there are many 150-footers in CT. Any sort of ravine or river valley seems to hold a lot of tall tulips. And, of course, there are white pines.

And thanks! I can use the confidence boost, you know? When you're scrambling around the woods, fighting walls of winged euonymous and looking for tiny twigs through an eye piece, you can start to second guess yourself... or at least I do.

I remember that tree. Has any tree outside of Manhattan beaten it?

IF you ever want to check my work or meet up somewhere else, shoot me a PM.

Return to “Connecticut”