The ghost of Gifford Pinchot

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

The ghost of Gifford Pinchot

Post by dbhguru » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:58 am

Hi Ents,

On the 26th and 27th Monica and I were in Simsbury,CT to give a presentation onold growth forests and big trees and to attend a meeting. The place we stayed on the evening of the 26th and where we held the meeting on the 27th was the birthplace of none other than Gifford Pinchot. The location is now the 1820 Simsbury House, but Gifford was born there Aug 11, 1865. I still blink in partial disbelief. They have a plaque up an lots of literature. The grounds were designed by Frederick law Olmstead. The connections with important persons of the past are long and deep.

One reason we were down there is that some of the commercially minded city fathers want to turn the local town forest named Belden Woods into stumps - for the health of the forest, of course. That is almost always the bogus reason given by the parade of exploiters that seek to make money off mature trees. Dr. Susan Masino of Trinity College, our host, is having none of that. As for my part, I keep careful measurements of the Pinchot Sycamore, which was of keen interest to all who attended the presentation - about 85 or 90. I also become acquainted with Connor Hogan, the new Director of the 4,000-acre McClean Wildlife Refuge. In a short visit yesterday morning, we measured white pines to over 140 feet yesterday. More on that in another post.

Connor's and my mission is to break 150 feet on a CT white pine. That has not happened since the cathedral Pines at Cornwall, CT blew down in July 1989. One of those beauties measured 172 feet in height. CT can certainly grow them.

My presentation was actually part of a joint one with Dr. William Moomaw, a former physical chemist at Williams College (PhD from M.I.T.) and a professor emeritus of Tufts University. Bill's credits are many and very impressive. You can Google him. One achievement follows:

In 2007 the Nobel Peace Prize [5] was jointly awarded to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC and Vice President Al Gore. Moomaw was a lead author for chapters of several IPCC reports, including the 2007 report.[1][6]

Bill sees considerable value in our NTS methods of volume modeling trees since we are able to compute the amount of carbon in a particular tree much more accurately than can be done from allometric equations that are based on compliant, young trees. The partnership that Bill and I am forming to make joint presentations causes my head to spin. I am definitely the junior member and am indeed honored and hope to put more time into getting more efficient at computing volumes for the complicated trunk and limb structures. We have a good team in NTS to do that. Michael Taylor, Erik Danielsen, Elijah Whitcomb, Dale Luthringer, Jared Lockwood, John Eichholz, Larry Tucei, Jess Riddle, and I are the currently active ones in actual trunk and limb modeling. Now is the time to climb aboard. Fame, but not fortune, await you.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Re: The ghost of Gifford Pinchot

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue May 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Bob,

Mega, mega kudos to you, Joan Maloof and others that are out there defending what remains of our old-growth. The trees can't speak for themselves and if they can pay for their way out of the forest they usually do.

Also, on a lighter note, I think I may have seen the aforementioned ghost peeking around this tree one late night...
IMG_7573.png
Matt

dbhguru

Re: The ghost of Gifford Pinchot

Post by dbhguru » Wed May 02, 2018 7:53 am

Matt,

Indeed! Gifford has returned and seems to prefer hanging around his tree rather than the house in which he was born.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Connecticut”