Two Oaks @ Fairfield U.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ryandallas

Two Oaks @ Fairfield U.

Post by ryandallas » Sun May 17, 2015 10:35 am

Yesterday I measured a Q. rubra and a Q. velutina at Fairfield U. The velutina I had measured in April of 2012; that report may be seen here: http://ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=3925. The rubra I had not measured yet, even though I had been meaning to do so for some time, as it's definitely the biggest tree on the University's campus.

For the rubra, I got a height of 90.3 feet and a girth of 19' 4.5". This tree is a massive, bell-bottomed wall of wood whose stature is made all the more imposing by a split in the trunk ten to fifteen feet up. Indeed, this split occurs so low in the tree's physiology that the tree might not pass the single-pith test. I'll leave that up to everyone to decide!

Some (very brief) history: before the University opened up shop, the plot of land it occupies belonged to a very wealthy family, whose property would have looked something like a more modest version of "The Breakers" property in Newport, R.I. As such, this rubra was probably once a specimen tree in an English-style green or garden. It now stands at the center of an immaculately trimmed lawn near the U's library.

The velutina seems to have added an inch to its girth since the last time I measured it three year ago??? I got a CBH of 16' 10". I did not measure the tree's height; the leaf cover obscured the upper-most portions of the tree.

Will Blozan

Re: Two Oaks @ Fairfield U.

Post by Will Blozan » Sun May 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Any photos of the red oak? Nice black oak!

Will

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Sun May 17, 2015 3:18 pm

Apologies! I thought I had included the photos.
Attachments
A view of the trunk's split. Can the tree pass the single pith test?
A view of the trunk's split. Can the tree pass the single pith test?
View of the rubra from a nearby road. The building in the background is the library.
View of the rubra from a nearby road. The building in the background is the library.
Crown of the rubra
Crown of the rubra
The rubra from another angle
The rubra from another angle
View of the rubra from the library's steps. The small object to the tree's left is a "hole" in a frisbee golf course. The "hole" is three to four feet tall.
View of the rubra from the library's steps. The small object to the tree's left is a "hole" in a frisbee golf course. The "hole" is three to four feet tall.

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Sun May 17, 2015 3:23 pm

And here are two photos of the velutina.
Attachments
View from the parking lot.
View from the parking lot.
The crown.
The crown.

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun May 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Thank you!

This tree just might be a single, measured at narrowest point not influenced by trunk flare. Looks quite spunky and "young".
CBH at orange line
CBH at orange line
Red oak PT.JPG (98.4 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Will

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:17 pm

Will,

Thanks for the clarification! I'm glad that the tree is a single. It holds some sentimental value for me, and I like to see it get the props it deserves.

Ryan

Return to “Connecticut”