Reintroduction and Maple Tree

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ryandallas

Reintroduction and Maple Tree

Post by ryandallas » Fri May 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Hello all,

This is Ryan LeClair, of Trumbull, Ct. I would like to apologize for completely falling off the map about a year ago. I was working a job with difficult hours, and as such, I had neither the time nor the energy to devote to tree-hunting. Now, however, I am back.

Recently, that is, about a week ago, I measured a Norway Maple on Whalburn Avenue, in Trumbull. Whalburn, truth be told, is not really much of an avenue, but rather a small, dead-end street perhaps no more than 100 yards in length. The street used to be populated, but the nearby Westfield Shopping Mall has since annexed the street and removed all of the houses, save for one, and now nature is reclaiming the empty lots, sending forth brambles of wineberry and other such pricklies. Interestingly enough, the demolition crews left many of the neighborhood's old shade trees unperturbed, and so when one drives down that street, one cannot help but feel that one is looking upon a ghost town of sorts.

The Norway Maple I measured must have been one such shade tree in the past. It is very stout, not very tall, and beautifully proportioned. I don't usually like to glorify invasive trees, but this maple is superlatively photogenic, and indeed is reminiscent of the magnificent Acer macrophyllum I saw when I visited the west coast 6 years ago. It is 14'1" (169 in.) in circumference, or 4.5' thick. The National Champ Norway Maple in Old Lyme, Connecticut, in comparison, has a circumference of 221". I did not get a height measurement because the one remaining resident on street was eying me suspiciously, and I did not want to get in trouble. I will post some pictures of the tree later tonight.

Anyway, I would just like to say hello to everyone, and I hope to hear back from you guys soon!

Return to “Connecticut”