Pinchot

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Pinchot

Post by dbhguru » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:53 am

Hi All,

Last Friday, returning from Killingworth, CT, Monica and I detoured to check up on the Pinchot Sycamore in Simsbury. It had taken some big hits in storms over the past year. Well, its crown is sparser, but it is alive and kicking. Its girth is 28.0 feet and its height is down to 94 feet. I didn't do its crown spread, but that has shrunk to probably around 135 feet average. Here are two images of Connecticut's largest tree.
Pinchot-1.png
Pinchot-2.png
With the loss of crown, the Pinchot's point total drops well below that of New York's Pine Plains behemoth. However, the Pinchot is one of the relatively modest number of eastern trees with a legitimate trunk circumference of 28 feet. The Pinchot's point total is around 463. The Pine Plains sycamore is 476.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Pinchot

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Bob- I never tire of postings of this tree. What a Whopper!!! I hope to visit it someday. I hope to see the great Pine Plains tree also, it looks fantastic!! Both Live Oak sized tree trunks. Wow! Larry

John Harvey

Re: Pinchot

Post by John Harvey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Great shots of one of the northeast finest trees.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Return to “Connecticut”