Tulip Tree co-champion & Sycamore

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

michael gatonska

Tulip Tree co-champion & Sycamore

Post by michael gatonska » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:05 pm

I wanted to share these photos I just took recently.

The first photo is of a Tulip Tree - I have been looking at this magnificent tree for years, and I pass it along my bicycle route which follows Old Main Street in South Windsor, CT.
I recently came across the Connecticut's Notable Trees web site, and to my surprise this Tulip Tree is listed as a Connecticut co-champion:
http://oak.conncoll.edu:8080/notabletre ... ted=132017

The tree was last measured in 2002, and I suspect it has grown over the 138 feet that was measured 11 years ago. I am standing next to it -I am 6'2".
Standing next to the Tulip Tree in South Windsor, CT
Standing next to the Tulip Tree in South Windsor, CT
The next photo is of me standing next to a majestic sycamore, also on Old Main Street, but in East Hartford (apologies for the terrible photo quality).
Standing in front of the sycamore tree in East Hartford, CT
Standing in front of the sycamore tree in East Hartford, CT
Michael Gatonska
“What is essential, is invisible to the eye” –Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.youtube.com/user/EcoEarSound ... sults_main

dbhguru

Re: Tulip Tree co-champion & Sycamore

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Michael,

A very worthy specimen of a tuliptree. When Monica and I return to Mass in August, I'd like to measure that tree and even model it. I'll check in with you in August.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 pm

After reading Michael's post, I wanted to see the trees for myself and try my hand at measuring the tulip. At first I did not see the for sale sign so I parked on the side of the road and took my readings from there. As you can see in the picture you can see most of the tree. Shooting right over the top of the base I had readings of 138 and then 142. After trying other parts of the top I went back to over the base but the best reading I could get was the low 120's. In the picture you can see a branch half way between the spruce and the tulip. Shooting the left side of the base to the other branch I was getting 142. This is about 30 degrees. I tried doing the math but can not wrap my mind around it. Most of the time I have my wife stand under the high point and I shoot her feet. We did not want to trespass. I looked at the sycamore, but since I was getting the stink eye from the neighbors I moved on. I look forward to seeing what the experts get for readings. Sam Goodwin

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Sam,

I'll take a crack at the tulitree when I get back to Massachusetts.

The experience you had with the people watching you in the neighborhood is why I typically dislike tree hunting in urban areas. Even in city parks, you get obnoxious stares. Tree measuing is not something that computes in the minds of the general public, and city people in particular. If you aren't walking a dog, jogging, talking on a smart phone, on a skateboard, etc. you must be up to no good.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 pm

sam goodwin wrote: I tried doing the math but can not wrap my mind around it. Most of the time I have my wife stand under the high point and I shoot her feet. We did not want to trespass.

Sam,

On page 25 of this document: http://www.nativetreesociety.org/measur ... sic_3a.pdf there is a step by step guide to using the calculator to punch in your height data. Just follow the steps.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

greenent22

Post by greenent22 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:14 am

Wow, that tulip is really something. And for CT now less! I'm sure the openish grown helped speed the growth a long a ton, but still it has at least a semi-forest form to some extent and a nice proper trunk. Nice!

michael gatonska

Post by michael gatonska » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:52 am

Bob,
Let me know when you would like to come down, I would be happy to take you over to measure the tulip tree. Maybe Sam could meet us?

Sam,
I know exactly what you mean - I have made several soundscape recordings in the South and East Windsor area (silver maple, black walnut, norway spruce, and a cornfield), and I usually ignore the locals and go ahead with what I am doing. If they come up and ask me a question, I usually tell them exactly what I am doing (with some minor and colorful embellishments if necessary); otherwise they will start asking all kinds of questions. Either way, they wont "get it" and they will consider us suspect no matter what. Still, i keep at it.

greenent22, believe it or not, two mature and amazing American Beech trees were in front of that tulip. When the house was first put up for sale, the beech on the left side of the yard was cut down and removed. The second, fell down this past spring - the stump still remains, and is on the right side of the driveway (in the photo) but cannot be seen. However, directly across the street, are two beautiful Copper Beach trees, I think some of the best examples in this area of CT in my opinion. I don't know if Sam was able to see them?
Michael Gatonska
“What is essential, is invisible to the eye” –Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.youtube.com/user/EcoEarSound ... sults_main

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:53 am

Michael,

Monica and I are currently in West Virginia, on our way back from Colorado. When we are once again comfortably settled in MA, I'll give you a call to set up a time to measure that tulip.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Michael, thanks for the invite, I should be free most days. I saw the beech trees but was looking for the first 2. There are many that are worthy of measuring. Some of the time when I am checking trees, I am on my Harley, much better gas mileage, but not so good at keeping a low profile. Sam

Return to “Connecticut”