Windsor Locks, CT cottonwood

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sam goodwin

Windsor Locks, CT cottonwood

Post by sam goodwin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:24 am

ENTS, we took about a 2 mile round trip walk on Saturday along the bike path between the CT River and the old canal. This path is 4.5 miles long and can only be accessed from the Suffield end and the Windsor Locks end. There are alot of cottonwood trees along the way. Many of them are in water right now and were impossible to get to and measure. Rough measurements were over 100 feet high. There was one next to the path that I measured at 14' 7.5" cbh and 101' high. On the other side of the canal between the canal and railroad tracks seems to be mostly oak trees in the 80 to 90 feet high range. Once the flooding is over I should be able to walk the river bank and measure the trees. I have seen some large cbh cottonwoods, back before my "tree" days, outside Hartford but the area is still closed due to flooding. Sam Goodwin

sam goodwin

Re: Windsor Locks, CT cottonwood

Post by sam goodwin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Went back today and the water was low enough to walk the river bank. The biggest cottonwood today was 12'2" cbh and 105' high. Sam Goodwin

dbhguru

Re: Windsor Locks, CT cottonwood

Post by dbhguru » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Sam,

That's no slouch. I'll take a 12-ft girth, 100+ foot tall cottonwood any day. Good find.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Connecticut”