Large Pines, CT

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jeffk

Large Pines, CT

Post by jeffk » Wed May 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Hello Ents -
Two weeks ago was hiking the Appalachian Trail in Connecticut between Sharon and Cornwall Bridge. I was immediately struck by the preponderance of chestnut oak, black oak(?) with witch hazel, low bush blueberry, sheep laurel and some type of grass in the understory. That's as it should be - I believe this neck of the woods is firmly planted in the southern New England oak forest which these species are indicative of. I'm from western Mass. and am used to seeing hemlock, maple, beech,yellow and black birch which were almost totally absent at least on the ridge tops which the AT inevitably seeks out - it was nice to see an ecosystem which I had only read about previously.

The real reason for this post is to make Ents aware a few large White Pines and at least one Hemlock located along the AT where it crosses Rt 4 just west of CornwallBridge. Right here -
AT_Pines_2.001.jpg
AT_Pines_1.001.jpg
It's hard to imagine these trees escaped notice, but figured I'd post the info anyway. Here's a photo of the base -
IMG_3602.jpg
IMG_3603.jpg
My hiking pole is 3-1/2 feet long which puts the diameter at roughly the same. I'd estimate height at 100' plus -
IMG_3606.jpg
Might be worth measuring properly if they haven't been documented already.

JK

dbhguru

Re: Large Pines, CT

Post by dbhguru » Thu May 31, 2012 9:20 am

Jeff,

Thanks for notifying us. The pines look worthy of measuring. The area of Connecticut that you hiked it has produced some exceptional pines. In terms of age, they appear to be upwards of 140 years, maybe 160 or more. Where white pines have favorable growing conditions for the species, it is hard to keep them under 100 feet. Sight unseen, I would have no problem going at least 120 feet. The pines you've identified could easily be above 130. It is worth a visit.

Ryan,

Any chance that you can get over there and check them out?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu May 31, 2012 12:43 pm

Yes, I can't see why I couldn't get over there sometime this summer.

jeffk

Post by jeffk » Thu May 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks,guys - that makes it all worth while.

Return to “Connecticut”