White pine climb with Michael Gatonska

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Re: White pine climb with Michael Gatonska

Post by edfrank » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Andrew,

Come on - a pileated woodpecker would simply add some percussion to the performance.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 pm

edfrank wrote:Andrew,

Come on - a pileated woodpecker would simply add some percussion to the performance.

Ed
I know but drummers are all attention hogs, can really mess things up when uninvited. Of course you can never get a pileated to show up and drum when you want them to!

PS: I can say that because I indulge in a little drumming once in a awhile ;-)
-AJ

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:36 am

Just imagine what a wood thrush would add!
psj
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

michael gatonska

Post by michael gatonska » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Andrew-
so glad you mentioned that about the quartet - pileated and all!
What is great about the quartet is that it is so portable. But the sound just may not carry that well outdoors.

Actually, I think that the human voice would sound best in the woods. In fact, just awhile back, I had submitted a project to work with the Cantus vocal ensemble in Minneapolis and the Minnesota Landscape Arbretum...the idea was that the concert would be a kind of processional, with people following (including handicap access) moving from historic tree to historic tree with singing, etc., possibly in the early evening with candles, a real mystical experience. Unfortunately, the project never got off the ground. But maybe it will one day!
Michael Gatonska
“What is essential, is invisible to the eye” –Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.youtube.com/user/EcoEarSound ... sults_main

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:42 pm

michael gatonska wrote:I had submitted a project to work with the Cantus vocal ensemble in Minneapolis and the Minnesota Landscape Arbretum...the idea was that the concert would be a kind of processional, with people following (including handicap access) moving from historic tree to historic tree with singing, etc., possibly in the early evening with candles, a real mystical experience. Unfortunately, the project never got off the ground. But maybe it will one day!
I think you have a strong chance to pull off a project like that with the ENTS, I'm thinking one of the mighty white pine groves at Mohawk Trail State Forest, or even the Bryant Estate wp grove to be even more accessible for audience /participants.
-AJ

Return to “Connecticut”