Fairfield Town Hall Sycamore

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RyanLeClair

Fairfield Town Hall Sycamore

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Here is a picture of...you guessed it...a sycamore at Fairfield town hall. There are a number of neat trees on the property (including silver maples in the 11' CBH range), but this tree is far and away the largest.

I couldn't find the exact top, so I did a straight-up shot. I got 90 ft.

The most impressive stat: 17'3" for a CBH! That's 5.5 ft DBH.

Here are two photos of the tree.
Attachments
View from the west
View from the west
View from the south
View from the south

RyanLeClair

Re: Fairfield Town Hall Sycamore

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Here is a picture of the tree from one year ago.
Attachments
102_1721.JPG

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:29 am

Ryan,

Those two sycamores you spotted on the front lawn of that house we passed on our Tulip Tree scouting expedition a couple of weeks ago actually looked bigger. When we finally get another shot at the Housatonic Valley, we should hunt them down again and ask if we can measure them. Were they on Rt. 34? I should have another free day before heading for a consult job in the Amazon on May 1, so if anyone else has preferred dates, it would be nice to have some more company. I think Bob is busy for a while though.

Bart

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Wow! What a great tree! Cottonwoods, sycamores, poplars...are these the three biggest eastern trees?

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Bart, I wouldn't surprised if one of those Sycamores on Rt. 34 is 17'+ CBH. We just gotta get permission to measure from the owner ;)

And thank you, JRS. Sycamore is the largest eastern hardwood...there are records of sycamores 15'+ in DIAMETER. Here's a big one from Indiana:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/3343

After sycamore, chestnut and tulip poplar.

The largest eastern tree period was bald cypress. However, that is up for debate now that the beloved Senator is gone. So...I might be going off track...I would say the three biggest trees might be: Bald cypress, sycamore, and tulip tree.

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Actually, that Kokomo tree might not have passed the single-pith test. Here's one that might count as a single stem tree (very strange growth pattern though, so who knows!):

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=huge+syc ... x=17&ty=63

Return to “Connecticut”