More Pequonnock Trees

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Re: More Pequonnock Trees

Post by dbhguru » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Ryan,

Good report. It's great to know that the possibilities haven't been exhausted. Keep searching.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:34 am

Ryan,

How many sites do we now have in Connecticut where we have reached 130 feet on our TT measurements? I ask this question, with a project in mind.

On occasion, I'll set a height or girth threshold for a species and tally the locations that meet the threshold. In Massachusetts, I've got the most information on white pines, white ashes, sugar maples, hemlocks, tuliptrees, and N. red oaks, but have quite a bit for cottonwoods, silver maples, and Noway spruce.

From many sample points, I'm able to draw mental maps of where the outstanding trees are likely to occur and with what frequency. Of course, the mental map is in a constant state of update. There is also a kind of species to species comparative analysis that is always going on, so that when someone reports a suspicious measurement for a location, and I've visited the general area and have an idea of what does well and what doesn't, I can quickly qualify the report.

It would be good to do this kind of generalized approach to understanding species growth capabilities for a long swath of New England. Might you be game to participate?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey Bob,

I think we've got 3 sites with 130'+ TTs: Pequonnock Valley, Indian Well SP/Paugussett SF, and Middlebrook Park. Twin Brooks Park in Trumbull MIGHT have a 130 (there is a nice floodplain there behind all the crags and rocks). There are other 130'+ TTs on the Conn. Notable Tree site.

I don't know what I could commit to...I've been having some personal issues.

Return to “Connecticut”