Pequonnock Valley, CT Tuliptrees

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RyanLeClair

Pequonnock Valley, CT Tuliptrees

Post by RyanLeClair » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm almost certain we have a 140+ TT in Connecticut. My dad and I just went to the Pequonnock Valley measured numerous trees over 46 yards tall. Granted, it was with straight-up shots, but the measurements can't be too far off...? One tree was 47.5 yards tall -- 142.5 ft., and 148.5 ft. with my height added. One TT was 4+ feet thick at breast height. All of the trees are growing by a river on a floodplain.

It would definitely be worth NTS's time to check out the Pequonnock. Again, it's a floodplain habitat--it's not nearly so rocky as Devil's Den.

dbhguru

Re: Pequonnock Valley TT

Post by dbhguru » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Ryan,

Great work! Please, can we have directions to the Pequonnock area? The sooner the better. We definitely want to check out the area. I just can't locate it on the map.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey Bob,

The valley is in Trumbull, and its roughly parallel with Church Hill Road. If you look up Church Hill on Google Maps the Pequonnock River Valley State Park will be there. I apologize for not including the directions in the first post :\

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Ryan,

Shooting straight up is a perfectly valid method of measurement. The downside is that often you can't hit the highest point of the tree from directly underneath. Therefore the heights measured from directly underneath will underestimate the tree height. The only difficulty is when you hit a branch on another tree instead of the one you are trying to measure and thus are not measuring the height of a single tree but some combination of two different trees.

In the measurement process you shoot straight up and get the distance, then you must correct for your eye level while looking up, plus any correction for your feet being at a different level than the actual base of the tree. If you are within 10 degrees or so of vertical, the difference in measured height fro the tilt will be negligible.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Ryan,

Looking at the area on both Bing and Google, I think you've hit the mother load. The area is packed with tuliptrees. Sky's the limit. Bart and I are tentatively making plans for Feb 7th. to go down there. Might you be available?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Ryan,

I agree with Bob and it looks like the 7th works for me as well. I knew there had to be a good location in CT, as I often see Impressive looking Tulip Trees that should be measured, while I am trying to arrive somewhere on time when on one of the interstate, and of course never get the chance.

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Thank you for the clarification, Ed. I wasn't sure if straight-ups were all that reliable. Also, I totally agree with you on the underestimation bit--these tulip trees are probably taller than what I measured them at. It was difficult to hit the topmost branches with the laser.

Bob, this trip is literally the easiest thing ever for me, because I live in the neighborhood! The Pequonnock is only a half-mile from my house. However, I don't think the 7th works for me--I've got classes. How about the 5th or the 13th?

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Ryan,

I could make the 5th or 13th as well. We might not all be able to make the same day, but I suspect there will be more than a few days involved here.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Ryan, Bart,

I'm not available on either the 5th or 13th. I'll have to leave those days to you, Bart. As you say, this is a multiple trip event.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

RyanLeClair

Re: Pequonnock Valley, CT Tuliptrees

Post by RyanLeClair » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Okay Bart, how about this Sunday the 5th? And then you two could meet without me on the 7th?

Return to “Connecticut”