Ct. Notable Tree Committe

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sam goodwin

Ct. Notable Tree Committe

Post by sam goodwin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:00 am

I know where 2 of the trees, Pinchot sycamore and Granby black oak are and will run down and try and measure them their way. I would like to check that 138' tulip in South Windsor and other trees they list near this area if any NTS know their locations. I don't know if it will be a fair assessment of their measurement system after the snow storm. I went and looked at the Pinchot after the storm and it took a hit but the black oak only lost one branch. Last year I measured the Pinchot and if I remember right it was a little under 100' tall. Sam

sam goodwin

Re: Ct. Notable Tree Committe

Post by sam goodwin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:50 pm

After getting home from measuring the Pinchot Sycamore and East Granby black oak I started doing the math,"their way". Keep in mind I haven't tried doing it ,"our" way yet and that will be another 2 hours! For the sycamore I came up with 494 points to their 475 points. For the black oak I got 453 points to their 448 points. I measured cbh 335" @ 99' for the sycamore to their cbh 334" @ 104' . I measured the oak at cbh 328 ' @ 78' and they have cbh 344" @ 79'. The oak has a large bump at 4.5' so I went a couple of inches higher, they may have measured over the bump and got the higher number. I have the other numbers if any one is interested in checking my math. Sam

AndrewJoslin

Re: Ct. Notable Tree Committe

Post by AndrewJoslin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:41 pm

Sam, I located the Norwich CT tuliptree that the CNTC listed on their site as 153'. I will be visiting and measuring it as soon as I get some free time. It's a fine tree but is open grown, the chances of it being 153' are not good. It will be interesting to find out.
-AJ

Return to “Connecticut”