Devil's Den Preserve, Redding, CT

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Re: Devil's Den Preserve, Redding, CT

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Sam,

To reinforce what Andrew said, welcome aboard. The more the merrier.

NTS,

Hopefully, this excursion marks the beginning of a concentrated effort to do justice to the Nutmeg State. Actually, I think the champion tree listing for CT is quite good. But since our focus is often site-based or tall tree-based, champion tree lists are of limited use. I believe southwestern CT will have a few sites with tuliptrees that reach into the 140s. I'd like to confirm that in 2012.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 pm

I'll almost certainly be along for the ride, too. Also, if anyone is interested there is a ~6 ft. DBH red oak at nearby Fairfield University.

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:18 pm

RyanLeClair wrote:I'll almost certainly be along for the ride, too. Also, if anyone is interested there is a ~6 ft. DBH red oak at nearby Fairfield University.
We'll look at everything interesting, time permitting. Looking forward to getting together with the ENTS!
-AJ

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:59 pm

I apologize for any inconvenience my misjudgement in traveling time may have caused, I got to the meeting point 1/2 late. We parked at the main entrance to the preserve near all the MA cars but with 21 miles of trails had no idea which trail to take and catch up with the group. We took some of the trails on the west side of the preserve and found alot of tulip trees along the way.

I hope everyone had a successful hunt.

Sam Goodwin

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 pm

No worries Sam everything went well. The trip was a blast but not a total success. We entered the park hoping for 140+ height trees and ended up not finding any that tall. However, we did find a tulip poplar that was 134.5 feet tall.

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Sorry 'bout that Sam, next time we'll make sure we have cell phone numbers for everyone so no one gets left behind.
-Andrew

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Ryan and Andrew,

Why did you go and tell Sam that? It would have been a much more colorful story if you had told him how you all had made a twig, branch, and straw effigy of him and danced around it for warmth as it burned in the middle of Devil's Den Preserve.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:15 pm

edfrank wrote:Ryan and Andrew,

Why did you go and tell Sam that? It would have been a much more colorful story if you had told him how you all had made a twig, branch, and straw effigy of him and danced around it for warmth as it burned in the middle of Devil's Den Preserve.

Ed
It is a devilish place, we could not find the renowned devil's hoofprint in a rock but we did at one point find ourselves stuck in a devil of a laurel thicket/bog, all in the service of finding a few good trees!

I think we need to schedule a new Connecticut/Mass trip to get Sam onboard. Ed! You're not invited :-)
-AJ

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 pm

That 134.5 tulip beats the biggest one we found. Off the Pent trail we found a grove of tulips and measured 4 of the 7 or so.They were 6;4" cbh @ 105', 6'7" cbh @ 102, 7'10" @ 109' and 8'31/2" cbh @ 110'. Off the Saugatuck trail we found a double tulip, 10'6" @ 101" and a shagbark hickory, 6'6" cbh @ 95' and measured a oak, about 6' cbh @ 101'. There was alot of tulips along the way in the 100' range. For the large number of stone walls, I found none of the gnarly old maple or oaks usually found with the walls. I counted the rings on a fallen pine tree that had been dead for a while and recently cut up. There was about 80 rings and that goes along with the 30 charcoal producing kilns that operated here between the 1800's and up to 1920. Sam

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:53 am

Sam I think you may have measured the first group of tulips we looked at. Interesting thing is, we found the 134.5' tulip at the location where I'd located emergent trees using Google maps satellite view. I entered the coordinates from the Google map into my GPS, it was about .2 miles northeast from the tulips off Pent Trail.

Probably the greatest density of largish tulips and best growing conditions were north of the Dayton Rd. in a watershed area of the Saugatuck Reservoir on the north end of Devil's Den. Doug Bidlack was running excitedly through the woods from tree to tree trying to get more measurements before sundown, we practically had to lasso him and drag him out when it was time to go!
-AJ

Return to “Connecticut”