Devil's Den Preserve, Redding, CT

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RyanLeClair

Re: Devil's Den Preserve, Redding, CT

Post by RyanLeClair » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Sounds like you've been watching The Wicker Man, Ed ;) And yes, sorry we couldn't meet up Sam we'll have to all exchange numbers for next time.

On another note, with a straight-up shot I measured a tulip tree near my house at 41 yards...with my six feet added it should border on 130'. I just need to get a clinometer soon.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 am

Guys,

Sounds like a nice trip. Is someone going to do a longer write-up? I pulled some of these shorter comments for the January magazine along with a couple of Andrew's photos. I wish I could have been there. I hope to see at least some of you in Cook in April

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:07 pm

edfrank wrote:Guys,

Sounds like a nice trip. Is someone going to do a longer write-up? I pulled some of these shorter comments for the January magazine along with a couple of Andrew's photos. I wish I could have been there. I hope to see at least some of you in Cook in April

Ed
I'm thinking it might be better as part of an overall "Connecticut Tall Tree Hunt" write-up when we actually find a plus 140 :-) I'm working on a couple of leads for more productive sites. However if our esteemed dbh guru feels so moved to write something up...
-AJ

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Andrew,

I was treating it as your site since you got the ball rolling. However, I'd be please to do a write-up over the next few days if you want me to.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Andrew, Bob,

If you want to write up a trip report now, that would be fine. Usually, the more immediate the trip report, the more details you remember, but if you want to wait until later that is fine also. The next magazine issue will be out likely tomorrow, so the report will not get in until the February issue comes out at the earliest anyway.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 pm

edfrank wrote:Andrew, Bob,

If you want to write up a trip report now, that would be fine. Usually, the more immediate the trip report, the more details you remember, but if you want to wait until later that is fine also. The next magazine issue will be out likely tomorrow, so the report will not get in until the February issue comes out at the earliest anyway.

Ed
All the better, want to roll it up into a overall Connecticut report.

Looking through the Connecticut's Notable Trees Project website

Here's a report of a 153' tuliptree in Norwich

Norwich is a surprise, in eastern Connecticut not where we're expecting to get the tallest tulip.
-AJ
Last edited by AndrewJoslin on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Here's the contact list for the Connecticut Notable Trees Committee, I believe this is who we should be talking to next.

I took a look at their measuring guidelines, they're based on the American Forestry Council guidelines. Some diplomacy may be required.
-AJ

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 pm

AndrewJoslin wrote:
I'm thinking it might be better as part of an overall "Connecticut Tall Tree Hunt" write-up when we actually find a plus 140 :-) I'm working on a couple of leads for more productive sites.
-AJ
Andrew-

I think you can rightfully claim several sites, now in Ohio, with 160+' tuliptrees, since these sites were historically in an area that once was part of Connecticut :)
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:12 am

Andrew,

I took a look at the measuring instructions. Sheeesh! You're right, diplomacy is required. I think I'll leave the job to others.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 am

dbhguru wrote:Andrew,

I took a look at the measuring instructions. Sheeesh! You're right, diplomacy is required. I think I'll leave the job to others.

Bob
I'll take it on, will report back.
-AJ

Return to “Connecticut”