East Granby Farms Recreation Area

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sam goodwin

East Granby Farms Recreation Area

Post by sam goodwin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:15 pm

70 acres of active recreation with offices, playground and future playing fields. 410 acres of passive recreation with a parking area in active corn and hay fields. There is a red blazed trail that starts in the parking lot, passes through the hay field and follows a old farm road through a swampy area with a stream. I measured a white pine @ 10' cbh 90' high in this area. Still following the trail you come to overgrown field with a few small trees and alot of brambles. You then come to older trees as you start heading up to the ridge line and the Metacomet Trail which is still part of the farm. Not far from the field I measured a tulip tree, (see pictures), @ 8' 3" cbh 95' high. I also measured what I think is a hybrid sycamore/planetree. It was 90' high. Some of the pictures show a birch with interesting roots. Heading back I measured and took pictures of a old, corner of the field maple. It is 19'7" cbh @ 71'. Sam Goodwin
Attachments
birch 008.JPG
birch 006.JPG
birch 005.JPG
birch 004.JPG
birch 003.JPG
birch 002.JPG
birch
birch

ElijahW

Re: East Granby Farms Recreation Area

Post by ElijahW » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Sam,

That's one honkin' big maple. Was it in good health or rotting away? I see lots of similar trees in NY, but most are just hanging on, thanks, for the most part, to the power line folks (and poor site selection when planting). Is that a yellow or black birch at the bottom?

Here's an old field maple on a piece of land I own.
DSC00278.JPG
DSC00278.JPG (96.47 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Elijah, the maple looked very healthy and did not seem to lose any branches to the storms. Most of the birch in the area are black, silver and white. Sam

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Elijah,

Where is the old field maple located? Is it a sugar or red maple?

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:40 am

Ed,

The picture is of a sugar maple in Port Byron, NY. You'll probably notice all of the young trees surrounding it. It's in a hedgerow between a field and an abandoned pasture. The pasture was used up until about 20 years ago, so it contains a lot of pioneer species for the area-mostly sugar maple, black cherry, and bitternut hickory. For whatever reason, large red maples are pretty rare around central NY, and from what I've seen, they tend to grow tall instead of fat. Trees such as this one are very common, especially along village streets. Typical heights are between 60 and 90', and girths tend to go from about 10' to the mid-teens.

I would guess that most big sugar maples in this area are between 100 and 150 years old and nearing their demise. Other than the groves that Tom Howard has reported on around Syracuse (Green Lakes SP, Liverpool, Camillus Unique Area), I haven't encountered many really old-looking specimens in the wild.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:04 am

Same, which state is this East Granby in?
Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:24 am

Joe,

the East Granby Farms Recreation Area is in CT, while the sugar maple photo posted by Elijah is from NY.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:27 am

Sam,

is that first picture supposed to be the maple? The reason I ask is the the CT state champion swamp white oak was located in East Granby and your first picture looks like that tree. At least that's how I remember it. I visited it twice in an effort to collect acorns and I succeeded on the second attempt. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of this tree. If I remember right there was a small parking area on the west side of the road. Then mostly grass as the trail went westward toward the forested ridge. The swamp white oak was to the southwest of the parking area at the edge of a small marsh and it was also located right at a fenceline.

I believe there is a new CT state champion swamp white oak but I don't know if the old one was remeasured.

Doug

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:23 am

Doug, good question! Your description describes it exactly. From what I remember,the first time I saw it I remember it as a maple. When I was there yesterday I did not even think about what it was! Now I will have to go back and look at it and see if I can talk to any staff. You know what they say: the mind is the first thing to go. Sam

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Doug, just got back from checking the Farms tree. It is a white oak but I would not call it a swamp oak. There was no staff to talk to. I brought back a leaf, (see pictures). Looking at my tree books the leaf is in the white oak family and the shape is more white oak then swamp oak. The only champion oak in East Granby is a black oak. I can only find on line some champion oaks. Since I do not not have Windows Office I can not see Bobs latest tall tree list. I found, a champion swamp oak, 17'6" @ 101'. A white oak 22'4" @ 92'. A white oak in Fairfield @ 115', a black oak in Westport @114' and a swamp oak in Greenwich @ 114'. I remeasured the Farms oak and this time got 19'6" cbh. Just shooting offhand with the shakes my readings were between 66' and 80' tall. Leaning and braced against a solid fence post I got 73' to 77' tall. Unless the past reading in Ct. are way off, neither of these reading are champion numbers. Sam
Attachments
oak 003.JPG
oak 002.JPG
oak 001.JPG

Return to “Connecticut”