Road trip, Ct/RI

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sam goodwin

Road trip, Ct/RI

Post by sam goodwin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

On Sunday, 10/23/2011, we made a tree hunt, geocaching and Johnnycake festival trip through Ct to RI. There is a geocache at the site of the Ashford, Ct, once national champion, northern red oak, that had a 26 foot girth and impressive root-knees. It is still living but dropping branches and has large cavities in the trunk. I posted some pictures.

One of the posted logs for the cache had a picture and note about the Pelham, Ontario, Canada Comfort sugar maple. It has the distinction of being the oldest living sugar maple in all of Canada at 500 plus years old. It is now part tree, part lamppost with the amount of concrete that has been used in order to preserve it! More pictures and you can Google it.

After the festival it was off to Bristol, RI to check some of their trees. There are alot listed for downtown but due to the time remaining and lack of homework on my part, (how hard can it be to find a 115 foot tulip tree on route 114?) I only saw a couple of the trees. One was RI largest, in terms of girth, 16 feet, tulip tree. It is located in someones backyard so I did not try to measure it. From a distance I saw the london plane/sycamore twins. I failed to find one the the more interesting sounding ones, called the 3 in 1. A Norway maple, Austrian pine fused together into a helix with a Seberian elm growing out of the crotch. I will have to plan on a return, this time, a walking tour of Bristol! Most of the trees along route 114 downtown had 10" X 5' planks around them. I assume for protection from snowplowing but I did not think they get that much snow and some were a good distance up on banks and far from the road.

Sam Goodwin
Red Oak
Red Oak
Red Oak
Red Oak
Red Oak
Red Oak
Red Oak
Red Oak
Red Oak
Red Oak
WP_000025.jpg
Comfort Maple Sign
Comfort Maple Sign
Comfort Maple - Whole Tree
Comfort Maple - Whole Tree
Comfort Maple
Comfort Maple
Attachments
Attachments_2011_10_24.zip
(4.98 MiB) Downloaded 99 times

ElijahW

Re: Road trip, Ct/RI

Post by ElijahW » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:43 am

Sam,

Thanks for the post and pictures. That oak really doesn't look like it has much time left. From what I've seen of CT and RI, there isn't much for big, old trees anymore. Along with the rest of the Northeast, the area was probably quite a marvel in colonial times and before, but now it's just a shadow of its former self. When I was in downtown New Haven, CT, I was startled by the elm-shaded park (or green). They seemed to all be American elms or hybrids, and I had never seen such a collection of large, healthy elms before. The park is several acres in size right downtown near Yale University, surrounded by nothing but elms.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “Connecticut”