Spring Street Park

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sam goodwin

Spring Street Park

Post by sam goodwin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:26 am

On 10/20/2011 I was walking around this park in Windsor Locks which was once a fish hatchery. There is a small pond with schools of carp and fishing allowed. By following the outlet stream on a old service road you can see the remains of the holding ponds. There are 3 streams that converge just past the ponds. It was there I saw 2 tulip trees. One was 6' 7" cbh @ 90 plus feet and the other was 5'6" cbh @ 95 plus feet. It was hard to measure the height with the leaves still on the trees. The trees in the park are the usual mixture of oaks, maples, white. grey, silver birch and white pines. One white pine was 9'6" cbh and another was 8' 2" cbh @ 80'. Many of the trees are in the range of 7 to 9 feet cbh and the 80 foot range. No record setters here but many of the pines and oaks are very straight for most of their heights. Loggers would love the trees! Not in my life time but someday they could be record setters! Sam Goodwin

edfrank

Re: Spring Street Park

Post by edfrank » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Sam,

I am glad to see a post from you. I haven't read much from you lately and am glad to see you have not fallen off the face of the earth.

Ed

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Re: Spring Street Park

Post by James Parton » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Welcome back, Sam!

James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Connecticut”