Belden Forest in Simsbury, Ct

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sam goodwin

Belden Forest in Simsbury, Ct

Post by sam goodwin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:39 am

Belden Forest is a 42 acre forest, pretty much untouched for more then 100 years. A newspaper article in the Hartford Courant calls it a miniature version of the Cathedral Pines of Cornwall. I haven't been to Cathedral Pines so I can't tell if it is. There is a yellow blazed and blue blazed trails that follow the forest boundaries with trails that cover the interior. We walked all the trails. Starting at the eastern side trail head it is almost all white pines, young hemlocks and beech. The pines were 7 to 8' cbh and over 100'. The beech were in the range of 8' cbh and 90' tall. As you head northwest it became a few oaks, hemlocks and white pines, no beech. The northwestern and north end became black birch, hemlocks and white pines, again no beech. There are many, many large white pines in this forest, 8 to 10' cbh and over 100 ' high. The largest I measured was 10.5' cbh and 115' high. Sam Goodwin

dbhguru

Re: Belden Forest in Simsbury, Ct

Post by dbhguru » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:55 am

Sam,

Thanks for this report. I'll definitely have to check it out. If 115 feet is the best there, then the place doesn't even approach being a miniature Cathedral Pines. When standing, there were many over 150 feet. That @#$%^&* microburst leveled virtually all of them. It was a personal tragedy for me. I hate those freaking storms. Oh, I hope Lee doesn't read this.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Connecticut”