East Granby Black Oak Revisit

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RyanLeClair

East Granby Black Oak Revisit

Post by RyanLeClair » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Here are some more shots of the former National Champion Black Oak. The scene sure does look a lot different in summer!

A man who lives across from the oak approached me while I was taking pictures. "Big ol' sonofabitch, ain't it?" he said, gesturing at the tree. He knew that the tree was the Black Oak Champion of CT, and he told me who owned the tree (luckily not him -- he said that if he owned it he would harvest it! Although he might have been joking?). You may recall that in March this tree was sectioned off with white tape. Well, the tape is no longer there -- which seems like a good sign.

Included are some pictures of the nearby Dewey-Granby Oak as well. These two trees make for a good day of sightseeing!

--Ryan

P.S. To get a better idea of the tree's size, take a look at my other Black Oak post. Though it's hard to tell from these photos, this Q. velutina is 8.5 feet thick at breast height!
Attachments
$ of J 044.JPG
$ of J 045.JPG
$ of J 040.JPG
$ of J 042.JPG

Larry Tucei

Re: East Granby Black Oak Revisit

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:55 am

Ryan, That is one big Black Oak. It reminds me of our Southern Live Oak. Get some acorns this fall and grow them. Larry

RyanLeClair

Re: East Granby Black Oak Revisit

Post by RyanLeClair » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:28 pm

Yeah, it's a whopper. It is like a Live Oak, with its fat trunk. And it is wider than it is tall, so that also makes it kinda like a Live Oak. I'll see if i can get some acorns.

--Ryan

Return to “Connecticut”